Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Brake Upgrade

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
Hey Guys, I've been looking around for some info on doing a brake conversion on my 1983 VH 6cyl. I've figured on swapping front and rear with VT setup including the brake master cylinder but I can't find any info specifically how to do it. Found lots on VK but nothing VH. I'd be looking at getting the bits and pieces from a wrecker and freshening them up then fitting them. What will I need? Obviously a new set of pads and disks are on the cards.

Has anyone else done this and can they share their experiences. Or, in case I missed it, can someone point me in the right direction within the forums.

Thanks,
Lewie.

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
im running the vt upgrade on the front in my vh. you will need discs, calipers, pads, new brake lines(if there still originals), hub adaptors and new bearings. you can run it with a 1" master cylinder but a vt master and booster are slightly bigger and give a slightly better pedal.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
i did the VE upgrade on my VP, LOve it, gotta put 17's or bigger wheels on tho, but they work mint..

they where a pretty straight swap pack i got came with hub adapters , discs, callipers and pads and new brake lines.

i didnt need to change my master or brake booster, mine works fine, but some have said they get a bit of extra pedal travel..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, they shouldn't. They fit on in lieu of the original rotors as they have integral bearings.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Hey Guys, I've been looking around for some info on doing a brake conversion on my 1983 VH 6cyl. I've figured on swapping front and rear with VT setup including the brake master cylinder but I can't find any info specifically how to do it. Found lots on VK but nothing VH. I'd be looking at getting the bits and pieces from a wrecker and freshening them up then fitting them. What will I need? Obviously a new set of pads and disks are on the cards.

Has anyone else done this and can they share their experiences. Or, in case I missed it, can someone point me in the right direction within the forums.

Thanks,
Lewie.
Hi Lewie,

What's your budget? A VE twin pot conversion would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade for sure.

Regards,
Greg

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Lewie,

What's your budget? A VE twin pot conversion would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade for sure.

Regards,
Greg

My budget is not too flash. But what I lack in funds I make up for in patience. I was thinking about hunting around some wreckers for the parts I need and freshening them up as much as I can and handing them over to a pro if necessary. This project will be more of a learning process for me. Although it will be my daily driver when it's done.

What would I be looking at for a VE conversion?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
They come in different size rotors and are different prices. What size rims do you have?

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
They come in different size rotors and are different prices. What size rims do you have?

Only standard original rims. 15s maybe? What ever they came out with is what's on it at the moment. I know that will have to change though but I will buy rims to fit over the brakes when the time comes. I'll be putting in a V8 down the track so I'm upgrading with that in mind