Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh bt1 diff

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
Hey I have just seen a vh bt1 diff come up for sale out of a 6 cylinder car it’s disc brake and non lsd gu4 3.08 ratio.
Will this be a 10 bolt Salisbury? Is it worthwhile upgrading to this on my vb sl 6 cylinder to get the disc brakes and a bit of extra strength or wait for a lsd?

Thanks.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, it is worth the upgrade, for the disc brakes......The ratio is ideal for around town and out on the highway.

What you'll have to consider is, the handbrake cable is a different length from drum braked rear to disc braked rear. So you'll need to grab that

You will also have to grab the tailshaft, as the 3.08 disc braked rear diffs have a larger V8 universal, when compared to the 6 cyl universals

AS to wanting an LSD.....Upto the individual....Personally I am running the same diff in my VC, with a 6 cyl up front.....I am more than happy with the way my car is with it....

So leave it upto you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you fit the Salisbury and have trouble getting hold of some handbrake cables you can get them made. If you need to shorten the outers on yours that is simple and fairly cheap, as is making longer inners. Not sure where you are located but there is a place in Adelaide who modded me some handbrake cables by shortening the outers and recrimping the inners.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Don't forget you'll need to change the brake master cylinder as well, or at least remove the residual line pressure valve from your original.

Andrew

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Don't forget you'll need to change the brake master cylinder as well, or at least remove the residual line pressure valve from your original.

Andrew

no you don't......Got the original drum braked master on mine

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
You will also have to grab the tailshaft, as the 3.08 disc braked rear diffs have a larger V8 universal, when compared to the 6 cyl universals
Ive done this a couple of times and remember shorting the tailshaft . The v8 sedan tailshaft will be too long for the 6 from memory.
A 2nd hand lsd sailsbury isn't going to give much extra drive is my memory of holden lsd's why blokes buy trutracs ect.
If your going to replace the master cylinder get a 1"master cylinder .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ive done this a couple of times and remember shorting the tailshaft . The v8 sedan tailshaft will be too long for the 6 from memory.
A 2nd hand lsd sailsbury isn't going to give much extra drive is my memory of holden lsd's why blokes buy trutracs ect.
If your going to replace the master cylinder get a 1"master cylinder .

Na....Straight forward bolt in......Had a 4 speed, Holden 5 speed and Toyota 5 speeds in my 6cyl car with the same diff and no tailshaft cutting

I am aware there are 2 types of universals used with disc braked rears....The V8 ones, which are used with the 3.08 ratio diffs.....The 2.78 (I think) had the smaller 6 cyl universals.....Other disc braked rear diff ratios, I'm unsure of universals required, with this era of car

Agree with the M/C suggestion

Last edited:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
The diff is most likely the small 8 bolt Salisbury. So the diff is no different to whats in the car now, just disc brake.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L

That's if its a 253 8 bolt Salisbury or 10 bolt Salisbury. If its the normal 6 cylinder one, will have same uni as other 6 cylinder ones.

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
Thanks guys I think I will give it a miss for now then since it’s most likely an 8 bolt. I’m still trying to decide what to do with the car while I’m saving the money to spend, I will prob ended up restoring to factory but if I do end up putting a v8 in I have a vn ss diff I will shorten and put in.