Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Charcoal canister plumbing

djf1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi All,
to pass engineering (in WA) with LS conversion i need to plumb up the charcoal cannister , has anyone here done this and if so how was it plumbed up ?
Any info would be appreciated !!
Cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
LS engine with carb or injection?
if injection, use the factory system as it is rather neat IMO
with a carb you will have to mock up something similar to what holden did on XT5 'Blue/black' V8s

djf1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
It is injected, cathedral port manifold with throttle body.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Which cannister do you have to use vh commodore or same model as donor engine?

They both are labelled where lines go then just look at where needs to go on engine as ls intake slightly different between models for pollution crap.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hi All,
to pass engineering (in WA) with LS conversion i need to plumb up the charcoal cannister , has anyone here done this and if so how was it plumbed up ?
Any info would be appreciated !!
Cheers
I thought if putting a newer engine in an older car, the principle is that the pollution stuff from the newer engine would need to be back ported to the old chassis :oops:

If that's indeed the case then the VH charcole canister on it's own wouldn't cut it as you'd need a sealed fuel tank along with the an evap canister (maybe the VH round charcole canister would suffice though i'd use the VF one), vent pipe and evap/purge solenoid plumbed between the tank and engine. And that's not even mentioning you'd need catalitic converters and an electronic throttle (so not sure how you got to use a mechanical throttle)

The VF LS3 setup is what I'd thought the engineering guys would want to see installed (amoung other thiongs).

In any case I've added the VF Evap System Operation snap from the VF workshop manual for yopur enjoyment:

evap system.JPG

PS: Trust you and the engineering team are on the same page w.r.t. what's required :p
Working with "live" NCOP docs can be a PITA as the ground can move from under you with little notice but hopefully WA is nmore relaxed (as seems the case) than the east coast :cool:

djf1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
I did actually go and speak with engineering guys to ask that exact question, vh or LS emotions, and they were adamant that it needs to be emissions from the car and not the engine. I would really like to do it only once !

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I did actually go and speak with engineering guys to ask that exact question, vh or LS emotions, and they were adamant that it needs to be emissions from the car and not the engine. I would really like to do it only once !
that is odd as the engine is the one providing the emissions, not the chassis :D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
that is odd as the engine is the one providing the emissions, not the chassis :D
The frustrating thing is that sometimes you can ask 2 diffeent engineers the same question and get 3 different answers as one may change his mind mid discussion :oops:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ask if can use vr/vs charcoal cannister...can clip to radiator or hide under guard.

Has 3 hoses like chunky vt to vz cannister but is heaps smaller & lighter.

vh cannister only has 2 decent size hoses one from tank other to vaccuum source but it too big chunky thing...most rego blokes just want to see cannister they rarely care to see if even hooked up correctly lol