Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH chassis code

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Hi there, Can any1 help me. I have a VH SL/E i just bought and have just found the i.d tags dont match the chassis number. I rang department of transport and the chassis stamp on the car ( strut tower ) is not stolen. it was deregistered. Some1 has put tags on it and registered it without them pickin up on it.
Does any1 know wot this chassis number is or whr i could find out whr it was built, the motor it came with, gearbox, interior/exterior and diff.

Chassis number is - CVH046690A
MUCH APPRECIATED

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Nope, thats just a chassis number, not model code. You won't get what model from the chassis number

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
how would i find out. Ring holden themselves?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Unfortunately Holden don't have records of the Commodores, only VP upwards. On the build plate, look at body number, i think some numbers and the letter match.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hi there, Can any1 help me. I have a VH SL/E i just bought and have just found the i.d tags dont match the chassis number. I rang department of transport and the chassis stamp on the car ( strut tower ) is not stolen. it was deregistered. Some1 has put tags on it and registered it without them pickin up on it.
Does any1 know wot this chassis number is or whr i could find out whr it was built, the motor it came with, gearbox, interior/exterior and diff.

Chassis number is - CVH046690A
MUCH APPRECIATED

look for the two build plates... aluminium plates riveted on
and post up the details

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Ok. The tag on the radiator support is - 8K69DC L577546-H
The two tags on the stut tower are- 1st tag- BVH 029761A 10/82
2nd tag- Model- VH84K69-XY8
Body No- 577546-A
Trim- 3024-63X
Paint- 1G 049-B
Built- OCT 82
Eng- LD1
Trans- MC6
R R Axel- GV4
The chassis number on the car doesnt match the 1st tag, And the rego papers have a different chassis number again. Theres 3 chassis numbers for my car. Chassis number on car - CVH 046690A
on plate- BVH 029761A
on rego papers- BVH 40946A

Last edited:

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
The VIN tag (8K69DC L577546-H) matches your body tag (Body No- 577546-A), so it's possible those details are correct and it's just the ADR tag that's been replaced for some reason.

That paint code is Colonial Beige, what's the original colour of the car?
If you can find out what that trim code is, does it match the car? (I just had a quick look but couldn't find it.)

Cheers

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Its a SL/X model too btw.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
well i know its a genuine SL/E cause it has everything SL/E. I dont know wot original paint was as its been painted a beautiful Candy apple red. The whole interior is Claret colour. P/S, A/C, Electric windows,Trip computer, Central locking, SL/E dome light, Rear pillar lights, SL/E Bumpers and SL/E chrome window surrounds. SL/E instument cluster, And SL/E tail lights. I reakon some1 lost the tags wen painting it and thru different ones on. Thanks 4 ur replies. P.S I couldnt find the chassis number on the strut tower as it had been bogged up. I had to sand it back to bare metal to read/show it.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Sorry, its not. 8VK code is for SL/X models. Has to be 8VX for SL/E. Someone has made a nice replica of a SL/E.