Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh commodore chev conversion

pnishu

satan left i took over
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 sl vh commodore X2 1 has a 253
hi all was just wondering if anybody knew what i would have to do to drop a stroked 350 chev (383) in a vh commodore i've heard to much crap from people that dont know and since this is just commodores i thought i'd ask you thanks alot

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
A mate of mine done this conversion a few years ago, I know he had trouble with the starter motor ,I think it hit on the steering rack and he had to get some sort of adapter for it and I think he also had some exhaust issues

but he sorted all out in the end ,next time I see him I will find out

pnishu

satan left i took over
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mate that would help heaps

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
Mate, a 383 Chev would be lovely in a 1st gen holden, however, the injected holden would be heaps easier to put in over the chev. Stroke 1 of those bad boys to 383 with a big solid and it would be 1 crazy setup. I was looking at putting a 383 Chev in my VS and my mechanic said it was way to big of job then what it was worth! Good luck with the project and let me know how it goes.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's just as big a pain to but a sbc in one as it is to put a ls1 in.

I have evidence that the ls1 is the way to go if you are going to that much trouble

YouTube - LS1 VH RACE CAR

pnishu

satan left i took over
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate, a 383 Chev would be lovely in a 1st gen holden, however, the injected holden would be heaps easier to put in over the chev. Stroke 1 of those bad boys to 383 with a big solid and it would be 1 crazy setup. I was looking at putting a 383 Chev in my VS and my mechanic said it was way to big of job then what it was worth! Good luck with the project and let me know how it goes.

the only problem with that is i would have to hook up all the computers n **** like that thats i bigger pain in the ass then steering,exhaust and starter im only a first year apprentice so money is i bit of an object but thanks anyway

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
castlemain rod shop has conversion kits for SBC for a reasonable price, which includes all the junk you need pretty much, extractors, k-frame spacer, starter motor bracket etc etc

just need the engineers afterwards. i personally would prefer a nice carby SBC to ls1, fuel injection is a pain in the rectum.

Damo14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Hi mate how did you go with this did you get it mod plated

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Its a big job had a VK and thought about doing it.. booted it...there was a kit as is mentioned above...suspension spacers (lift front body up / sump/oil pickup needed changing (remote oil filter?) as well I think maybe trans mounts/driveshaft as well...It has been done and passed cert over here but that was a long time ago .