Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 253.

bruggy_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL
Morning guys,

So I'm a bit stuck with a conversion. So i bought this Vh which was in the middle of a conversion. It was a 6, and the guy i bought it off has thrown a 253 in it from a WB. It has the trimatic for the 253 in it. A couple of things about the build, the tailshaft has already been changed, the dizzy is stuffed, radiator need connecting and I'm just not sure about the rest

Couple of quick questions. Did the WB have power steering, because it looks like its missing?

I know i dont need a vh v8 wiring harness, but will it make it a lot easier?

I'm going to attach a photo of the engine. Any help on where hoses go will be great. I've just bought a Vh service manual. So im starting to read that now.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 469
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 419
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 507

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A wiring harness will make it easier, but finding one may prove difficult, so if you have to improvise, do that.

As for the power steering....Does your VH have power steering? If not, I wouldn't be overly concerned....If it does, just get the pump and lines from another commodore of that era, or get them made up....I think later model pumps can be used, but unsure which ones....Someone else will chim in with that information for sure.

Having the manual, will go a long way to helping you with what goes where in getting it complete....This era commodore did come with a 253, so no probs there.

Good luck with it all

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
6cyl harness will do the job just extend wires to where need them & use old 6cyl senders for gauges to work....even if you got vh 8cyl harness they have alot of extra crap you're missing & harness will usually be brittle/ratty needing some repairs.

Alternator on wrong side just get early commo one.

I'm lazy I'd just convert it to manual steering or fit astra electric pump under guard if want powersteer but can't find all parts needed & kingy setup different to vh.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Morning guys,

So I'm a bit stuck with a conversion. So i bought this Vh which was in the middle of a conversion. It was a 6, and the guy i bought it off has thrown a 253 in it from a WB. It has the trimatic for the 253 in it. A couple of things about the build, the tailshaft has already been changed, the dizzy is stuffed, radiator need connecting and I'm just not sure about the rest

Couple of quick questions. Did the WB have power steering, because it looks like its missing?

I know i dont need a vh v8 wiring harness, but will it make it a lot easier?

I'm going to attach a photo of the engine. Any help on where hoses go will be great. I've just bought a Vh service manual. So im starting to read that now.
Ask help as you go, rather than overload you all at once with stuff you don't know or not up to, there's plenty on here who can help you out :)

bruggy_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL
Alight,
So speaking with an auto elec, to get the thing wired up wont be anymore then $500. Which im happy with.
I've had to order custom heater hoses to the water pump as the 6cyl don't reach.
Radiator is on, need a custom lower hose as its aftermarket. Fits really nicely though.
gtrboyy - Are you positive the alternater is on the wrong side, the motor is from a WB.

Still not 100% sure if i want to buy the MSD distrubuter or buy a cheapy just to get it running and enjoy for a bit. Thoughts?
Thanks guys.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Alight,
So speaking with an auto elec, to get the thing wired up wont be anymore then $500. Which im happy with.
I've had to order custom heater hoses to the water pump as the 6cyl don't reach.
Radiator is on, need a custom lower hose as its aftermarket. Fits really nicely though.
gtrboyy - Are you positive the alternater is on the wrong side, the motor is from a WB.

Still not 100% sure if i want to buy the MSD distrubuter or buy a cheapy just to get it running and enjoy for a bit. Thoughts?
Thanks guys.

gtrboyy will be able to confirm about motor alternator/power steering/aircon placements,
also have a look at the wb statesman with all the options, your motor probably came out of a non optioned ute. :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Get early commodore thermostat v8 heater hoses will fit then add bypass hose from w/pump to manifold you'll need new fitting to screw into manifold.

Kingswood have alternator on passenger side...so does vn-s efi v8 but 2 different brackets & that's why battery pate/bracket has been cut.

2 different types of early commodore alternator brackets.

One big ugly steel bracket thing for air con cars...compressor sits on top,alternator underneath...usual giveaway factory v8 car is chassis rail lip tapped down for clearance.

Other bracket is non air con alternator bracket...easier to buy reproduction item & lighter/neater option.

Google image or do searches you'll see various differences between models of cars & specs.

Tbh if your car is missing all the v8 air con gear & complete v8 powersteer setup just go manual steering rack & intermediate shaft & non air con alternator bracket.

Then if you want to add air con or p/steer later on do it when/if you can find complete setup to fit.