Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Commodore front and rear bar molds

What do you think?

• I'd be interested in buying the front mold

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • I'd be interested in buying the rear SL mold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd be interested in buying the rear SLE mold

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Not worth the trouble of getting it reproduced

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Hi All,

I've been looking at sourcing some front and rear bar molds for my VH SLE restoration and as many of you would know, no one reproduces the rubbers and finding new ones is almost impossible.

So I started looking at reproducing my own and found a company that says they can make the rubbers here in Australia but they'll have a minimum run they need to fulfill (which requires me to outlay about $5000).

I was thinking that it may still be worth doing if there was an interest from others to buy.

I still need to research what clips I could use to secure it to the bar but I expect I could get them made at a cost of a few hundred dollars per strip.

Has anyone looked into this or would be interested in buying some?

On the off chance, Is anyone selling the rubbers I'm after?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi All,

I've been looking at sourcing some front and rear bar molds for my VH SLE restoration and as many of you would know, no one reproduces the rubbers and finding new ones is almost impossible.

So I started looking at reproducing my own and found a company that says they can make the rubbers here in Australia but they'll have a minimum run they need to fulfill (which requires me to outlay about $5000).

I was thinking that it may still be worth doing if there was an interest from others to buy.

I still need to research what clips I could use to secure it to the bar but I expect I could get them made at a cost of a few hundred dollars per strip.

Has anyone looked into this or would be interested in buying some?

On the off chance, Is anyone selling the rubbers I'm after?

Same as Roof Rack rubbers, they will make a mould to do your rubbers so do you then own the mould ? if so, then what will they charge to run the rubbers through your mould, because that will give you an idea what your cost will be should you go ahead.

Of course is there a demand for these rubbers to make it worthwhile forking out $5000 ?
eg I would not make rubbers for the likes of HZ Holden etc because I doubt the demand is there.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
It depends on how many sets $5000 gets you, what's their minimum run?

And what would be the cost to have more made later, given that you'd already paid to have a mould made?

Whether they come out as good as original would also be a factor, do they offer some kind of guarantee?

uglyGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Adayer Sportif
i would be interested in front mould and sle rear mould but they would have to be very good...

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
The $5000 should allow for a run of about 40 rubbers. Not sure if that 40 can be split as 20 front and 20 rear molds or if it would be just to do a run of the front to cover the 40.

Like someone said, it would be an expensive gamble if the quality is no good.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
I would not hesitate to buy both moulds but as others have said the quality would need to be close to original. Given they would be made in Australia I would be fairly confident the quality would be very good and definitely better than anything that comes out of China (rare spares). I think $125 per mould is quite reasonble and probably not that far away from what Holden would have charged... I reckon you would be able to smash them out on ebay (and others) pretty easily also.

Defo keen.

Would love to get my hands on a set of front bar mould badges also....

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Sounds like a good idea...but id be more inclined to let rare spares do it and look after all the quality control. I dare say it will cost more than 5K to produce the moulds

They are slowly increasing the parts list for early commodores as they can see the demand is growing.

I was at my local rare spares last week and the available stock for vb-vh/k was great....I went in to buy an accelerator cable and left with a boot load of stuff.

My main point is that Rare spares do listen to customer feedback and if the demand is there they will produce it...but it wont happen over night.

But don't let me burst your bubble...if you can see there is potential in producing these moulds then jump on it as you could be on to something worthwhile in the long run....
Id be keen on front and sle rear....price and quality dependant

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Would love to get my hands on a set of front bar mould badges also....
you and me both.
I had 2 lefts and 2 rights plus the 2 on the car a few years back...somewhere between moving house ive misplaced them....and one has fallen off my car so now im only down to 1

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
you and me both.
I had 2 lefts and 2 rights plus the 2 on the car a few years back...somewhere between moving house ive misplaced them....and one has fallen off my car so now im only down to 1

I had been scouring flea-bay for years trying to locate a pair of NOS front bumber badges with no luck, finally a pair came up but the sale price was over $500 (from memory) which I was, and still am not prepared to pay!

Do Rare Spares have them with their increasing parts list? I also have an original NOS rear boot Commordore badge but have been unsuccessful in finding the equivalent SL/E badge - the non gen ones I have seen and bought are nothing like the original....

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I'm working on a set of front bar commodore badges as we speak. It's a little cheaper to have them made and no minimum order for me. Hopefully I'll be able to show you some photos of the finished product in a few weeks.

Only thing is that they won't be made of plastic but metal, which to me isn't a bad thing.

I placed a request for the bar moulds with RSP almost 3 years ago when I had my other VH. I'm still looking into having this made myself but might take a bit of time.