Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh dash change

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
my 83 vh dash has a speedo and vacuum pressure gauge as the 2 main readouts on the display... how hard is it to change over the vacuum gauge to a tacho? im not too fussed with "monster tachos" and stuff... im not fully sick i just want to know how fast the engine is spinning

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
if u have an addtional gauge, check out my site on part 1, it might help yah there.

I have speedo, mani and rpm.....

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
yeah im not too sure if im keen on having a tacho sticking out... however your one is fairly unobtrusive... does it pass pink slip or whatever? i have heard a lot on defects for certain tacho mounts

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
You can pick up a sle tacho dash from the wreckers for less than $30, that gives you voltage and oil presure guages as well. might cast $10 or so to get the tacho recalibrated, then it sits nicely in the dash all original. that's what I did in my VH.

Jimboss

Reaction score
I was planning on doing what you are wanting to do, change the dash so the tacho is in the cluster, but i found an Autometer 2 3/4" Tacho and it fits in perfectly just to the right of the instrument cluster, and has virtually no impact at all on your driving (no obstruction, certainly nothing to not pass roadworthy).

I think that it looks good having it external, so long as it's not a monster, they look crap on the old girls.