Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH EFI conversion - Engineer?

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL/R torana, HZ SANDMAN, VH SL/E top 30
Hi guys.
This has probably been covered a million times, but Ive done a search and read some posts and also looked at the vicroads website, but theres a bit of conflicting info. So before I give them a call, can anyone tell me their experiences of regoing a VH with an EFI 304 in it it Victoria? Some say i need to get an engineers cert and others say you dont... Some say theres only certain things like fuel lines that need certifying.... Any thoughts? Cheers.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I would think it will need to be engineered as the motor was not an option for the VH. I put a V6 in my VC and it had to be engineered but that is in Qld, Vic may be different.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
VH came out with a 5 litre so I don't see why it would have to be engineered. Will have to run the pollution stuff/catalytic converters, at least you have to in NSW.

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. yep these are the conflicting things that always come up. The car is plated L31 and yes I am runnning the cat convertor too.

Ill call vicroads and sort it out but just wondering about people experiences with vicroads.

Cheers again.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
In NSW I required an engineers cert, RTA required the following

Noise test to comply to doner cars engine
Cat in exhaust
Unleaded filler neck

Then it had to pass a blue slip inspection all done no worries

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
In NSW I required an engineers cert, RTA required the following

Noise test to comply to doner cars engine
Cat in exhaust
Unleaded filler neck

Then it had to pass a blue slip inspection all done no worries

Thats interesting, all the RTA needed for my V6 was a blue slip to confirm its identity.

Zac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais V8
Thanks guys. yep these are the conflicting things that always come up. The car is plated L31 and yes I am runnning the cat convertor too.

Ill call vicroads and sort it out but just wondering about people experiences with vicroads.

Cheers again.

Hainzy, please let us know how you get on with VicRoads - I too have heard conflicting stories...

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys.

I spoke to vicroads today and the girl was very helpful and happy to help me out but couldnt give any real solid answers. The bottom line was 'if its an engine option offered for that model then it should be fine' However 'as its for a different series ie Vn EFI, it falls into a different unknown area' She said some options are to get the roadworthy guy to do a stat dec saying its all good as a mechanic can approve it, and she also gave me a couple of numbers for local engineers that vicroads have in their database. So ill probably give the engineer a call just to double check with them too. She also said that I can call holden to see what they say. if they say 'yeah no worries' then rather than get a letter from holden, i just need to do a stat dec saying I spoke to Holden and they said 'yeah no worries....'

Seems they like stat decs at vicroads too as i guess being a legal statement it covers everyones arses. So its a good idea if youve lost a receipt or something, to just go in with a stat dec.

She was quite helpful so if you need to find a local engineer to sign off on it you can call vicroads and get a number for a local one.

Cheers.