Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Engine, been under water help bringing her back, Trans radiator hose snapped help?

mojo_gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hey guys, so i bought a vh car from brisbane that i was assured wasnt underwater from the recent brissy floods, never got a chance to start her over before purchase.

Got home found out infact she was underwater, dropped oil about 3x new filter etc, took off rocket cover and wooh is she horrible under there.. I can understand that cars get carbon buildup but im guessing this ex bush basher hadnt had an oil change in a while, so after cleaning out the top of this 202 blue top got her running but sounded like she was just getting worst and worst, im no mechanic but engine sounded like it was i guess getting louder and louder, in a sense.

So stopped the engine and recleaned under rocker cover, and took off side covers and she is pretty bad in there too, anyway there is an easy fix solution, i was told break cleaner the a kazilion oil changes to try flush all the **** through.

Also i need to do auto tranny fluid, im sure this has been covered before can anyone point me in the right direction for help?

And lastly, today when i was removing the old radiator to replace, i managed to snap the top brass high pressure transmission hose, has anyone repaired one of these, is it worth reparing or just buy new complete hose?

She is only going to be used as a paddock car at my folks farm, got the half roll cage, harness's ready to go just need her running by easter for some derby shenanigans.

Thanks guys
Reece

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
you could try flushing the engine with diesel, if its been underwater for a short time the engine might be able to be salvaged but im tipping the tranny wont respond well to water/sludge in it ,youve also got to check the brake reservoir for water.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

mojo_gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Ahh i see, well it did start tho does that mean anything, i got into the top with a air gun and blew all the **** outa the rocker cover and under.

Is there a makeshift soloution for the gearbox hose? Are they a pain to replace, or there only copper, i bet a plummer or aircon mechanic will have a joiner piece right?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
just water in the sump wont do jack really. itll get so hot in there after 2 mins of running that itll just evaporate out, but if there is silt in it, itll get in all the oil feed holes and clog up all the gallerys, get in between the bearings and generally make a mess of everything. all you really need to do before you start it is take all the plugs out and crank it a few times to spray waer out from the bores, otherwise you risk bent valves.

did you break the metal hose, or the brass fitiing on the tank. your original post isnt very clear.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
I hope you didn't pay too much for it......................

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
mate itd be so much easier to take the engine and tranny out, go to a wrecker and get a new(old) one

mojo_gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
ahh sorry its the hose, i slipped with the wrench and let go of one, she went round and kinked then broke off..

Attachment is still fine just the hose

only paid 200bucks for it, but i cant start her and see if she runs any better until i fix the transmission hose and reattach it back to the radiator, does anyoen have any suggestions?
Reece

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
It would be a good idea to take the sump off and check that the oil pickup isnt blocked with sludge. You should be able to get the sump off by undoing the engine mounts and jacking under the harmonic balancer to lift the engine up .