Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh from starfire 4cyl to 304ci V8 questions.

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Hey guys, probably been asked a million times. But I currently own a VN commodore with a factory 304ci and T5 gearbox. Recently it was involved in a accident and the rear was hit. Running gear was completely fine though. So have removed the motor, gearbox and drive shaft.
Im now looking at an original mint VH commodore with the 4cyl starfire motor and auto trans and planing on doing the 304ci convertion. I am doing all the work myself and really want to know whats involved in this? what do i need? what will i need to custom make and modify? What will need swaping over? also are all the mounts the same? Is it all bolt in?

Thanks heaps in advance. Just what to know how easy it is just to get this vh instead of paying 3x the price for a factory V8 one.

Cheers Mike

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Use the VN engine K frame. You need to do all the brakes, suspension and diff. The 4 cyl used smaller items.

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Thanks, What about gearbox mounts? Mike

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
With T5, i'm not so sure. Should bolt in.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
easiest way is drop the engine, k-frame, steering rack, struts, control arms & brakes from the VN in one assembly
and then wheel it over to the VH and bolt it straight up. That's the front end sorted.

you then need to find yourself a disc brake rear end for the VH (VN diff is wider than VH)
T5 will need a special rear mount, available from Dellow or Castlemaine Rod shop

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Ahh, I see. I should have it by the end of the week. Just wondering is any modifications needed to the drive shaft? And what diffs can I use? eg. VH, VK, VL?? Cheers Mike

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL/R torana, HZ SANDMAN, VH SL/E top 30
You have to make a custom gearbox mount, or as others have said get one from dellows or the rod shop. I cut out the mount section from the VN T5 and had a mate weld it to a new piece he built around it while the gearbox was jacked into place. You will need a VH V8 diff and the rear section of the VH tailshaft. You then use the front section of the VN tailshaft and these join together perfectly. you will no doubt need to get these balanced first.

You also need the intermediate shaft from a vl steering rack to join the steering rack with your column and you need to source a different fuel tank. Best bet is one out of VS sedan. It has a nice internal fuel pump and bolts straight in.

This is a great conversion but beware the costs stack up. It can get very expensive with all the little extra bits an pieces, but well worth it..

Keep the VN close by until the job is done. It will prove handy.

Have a read of this link for lots of great information about it by some very knowledgable guys.

FastLane - VH EFI conversion..

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I would use a VL V8 diff or if you want a higher ratio diff a VL turbo unit. You can also use a VL rack, not sure about the VN rack, maybe wider? You can also use the VL fuel tank. If you use the VL diff you mate the back end of the VL tailshaft to front half of the VN tailshaft same as the VH mentioned above. At least the VL rear axles are Borg Warner.

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Okay sweet, So my VN steering rack wont work?
Cheers Mike