Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH front door question

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Hey all, I am looking to replace the 2 front doors on my vh sle as they are not suitable for a respray job. I have found 2 sets of doors I am wanting to pickup tomorrow arvo. I have a series 1 vh sle with winder windowsand the doors I have found are:

VK Calais front doors
VH SL front doors

I want to use my sle door trims, but I'm unsure which set of doors will be the best fit. I obviously have the horizontal slider door locks which go with the vk style door locks. And also the extended internal arm rest handle piece should be the same as sle.

And the SL style door I think has the old vb vc style door lock knob in the top corner.

Which doors would be the easiest to put my trims onto??

The vk calais doors are both electric windows which I'm happy to wire up and buy a switch for. But i'm just unsure if there are any snags when it comes to fitting these doors that people are aware of and can help me choose.

Cheers, Josh

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
If your using your door trims them Either type would be ok. just change the locking. With VK doors, if u use the Vh mirrors u need to drill 1 extra hole as it doesn't have it on vk doors.
U can also get a Vh SLE electric window wiring harness and plug it in to yours to have original electric windows.

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Thanks for the reply mate, appreciate it!
I just didn't know if there were any hidden differences with each door type.
Knowing I'll need an extra hole for mirrors helps in advance too, thanks again

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
as above the only differences should be the mirror mounts.
all the other holes should be already there for you minus the wiring harness hole.
it's easy to change over the rod's and lock systems as it's also easy to change over the window regulators.
be careful removing the plastic slider assy as they're very brittle (the white outer part that mounts to the door)
i changed all the locks to vh sle slider type in my vh ss along with sle door trims (i wanted to preserve my original door cards and thought the slider style would be harder for a theif to get to vs the pull up setup plus i added in the factory central locking while i was at it.)
everything interchanged easilly.

I've done the same with my vb project car using vk calais leather door cards.

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
Be careful pulling looms out of doors so as to make it easy to put into new doors as seen plenty chopped. All inners are swap and change VB-VL. If you have power windows, expect the casting to be broken on at least one of the motor legs as they were crap at best. You can change to VL pressed tin window motors for a better result. As Drew said, the sliders are brittle, the best tool I have for remal is the tool in the middle of this pic
vw_trim_tools_1.jpg

By putting even pressure on the bottom of the slider, 9/10 seem to pop out undamaged..

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
You guys are Legends, I will be sure to do it all very carefully and use the middle tool if I can get one.

I ended up going with vk sl front doors as they are identical and are in REALLY good condition. Not one dent or rust. Also already has winder winders and slider door locks. The bailey channels arnt too bad, but I got a new whole set to do front and rears anyway.

The Calais electric doors were a colour match to my car, but unfortunately both windows were smashed and doors were exposed to the weather without trims...I didn't trust the elec modules due to this..

Cheers guys

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
I bought my Bailey channels from Clark Rubber, saved $300 over Rare Spares ;)

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Man they must have been asking a lot for the channel rubber when u were looking!! I got front and rears for $160 or so with postage from R.S

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
Yeah, was 7 years ago, alot of their stuff was poorly priced, from memory a full rubber kit was $1300 for VB-VH sedan.