Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Fuel

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Its not my car I suppose if that's what he wants to do I'm willing to do the work at my pleasure its the unknown u know like opening a can of worms, he wants the paint done as its been sitting for awhile with just primer now water has got under it creating surface rust on the roof. They are easy to work on not like these new cars, Did you use a clear coat or just acrylic paint VC?

Clear over the acyrlic...You'd be silly not to clear it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So you used a base coat then the clear, ok then, I thought that been so old they just used acrylic paints back then.

I undercoated with grey primer/filler, then top coated with colour then the first coat of clear was mixed with the paint still in the gun, then straight clear over that.

They always used a primer in the old days

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I undercoated with grey primer/filler, then top coated with colour then the first coat of clear was mixed with the paint still in the gun, then straight clear over that.

They always used a primer in the old days
Base coat is the colour, yea I know to under coat it, every base colour recommends a undercoat colour, well I think they do as it has a impact on the base coat.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
They have those new 2pack paint spray cans now u press the button at the bottom to let the clear mix in with your colour, shake it for 5min then spray no need for a clear as the clear covers the surface, I used it on my roof came up good the down side is the price, 38 a can only took 1.5 cans to do, the rest you end up wasting as its no good after 25min once you mix the clear in.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
:)
Hi, my mate wants me to fix up his 82 vh 6cl to put back on the road, just seeing if you can run unleaded or do you need to add fuel additive to protect the valves?

Also he wants me to respray the car its the TAHITIAN BLUE MET 2B008 is that a base coat with a clear coat or can you use Acrylic? And what colour Primer?

He wants it painted first but I think its better to work on getting it running hasn't been started for over 10 years, lot to replace, radiator and pump thermostat, oil change in motor and diff, brake line flush, transmission serviced, plugs leads and who knows what else, probably have to flush the fuel tank.

What you guys think paint or mechanical side first? Thanks.

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
hey trevorlovesholden, I had a old 6cyl with the same fuel use issue, I just used unleaded, old engine didnt warrant the price of better octane fuel. I did notice the engine lacked power though, apart from being an old engine, so I occasionally put in a tube of modern efi injector cleaner from my newer car and installed a higher ratio diff and it did improve the power a lot especially with the old traumatic auto, probably cleaned out the old varijet carbi n lines as well.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Base coat is the colour, yea I know to under coat it, every base colour recommends a undercoat colour, well I think they do as it has a impact on the base coat.

I didn't use a different colour as a base coat.....But if you want to knock yourself out....Yes it does change the top coat colour

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They have those new 2pack paint spray cans now u press the button at the bottom to let the clear mix in with your colour, shake it for 5min then spray no need for a clear as the clear covers the surface, I used it on my roof came up good the down side is the price, 38 a can only took 1.5 cans to do, the rest you end up wasting as its no good after 25min once you mix the clear in.

I wouldn't be painting a whole car with a pressure pack can....Makes the job look like a school kid did it....But hey, your choice