Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Fuel

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi, my mate wants me to fix up his 82 vh 6cl to put back on the road, just seeing if you can run unleaded or do you need to add fuel additive to protect the valves?

Also he wants me to respray the car its the TAHITIAN BLUE MET 2B008 is that a base coat with a clear coat or can you use Acrylic? And what colour Primer?

He wants it painted first but I think its better to work on getting it running hasn't been started for over 10 years, lot to replace, radiator and pump thermostat, oil change in motor and diff, brake line flush, transmission serviced, plugs leads and who knows what else, probably have to flush the fuel tank.

What you guys think paint or mechanical side first? Thanks.

Slowvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vxss
Tell your mate to get someone else who knows what they are doing.

1574854240093-982230528.jpg

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Couldn't you find anything using Google, or any videos on how to do it on YouTube ?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Only smart people please, retard comments don't help, if your no help keep your comments to your self.
Only reason for dumb comments because you have no clue, keep it real.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
If it were me I would do all the mechanical first then paint. There almost always unintended knocks when you are doing that much work on a car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Leased fuel was phased out completely within Australia in January 2002. However, manufacturers knew for quite some time that this was coming and were preparing many years before this date.

From what I’ve read, I believe most vehicles built in 1986 and later were ok to run on unleaded (of the appropriate octane rating).

Since VH was available from 1981 to 1984 and VK was available from 1984 to 1986, these are pre 1986, so it’s probably not ok to run on unleaded without ValveMaster or ValveSaver upper cylinder lubricant. You’d need VL or later to be reasonably certain things are ok with unleaded.

But if it’s an old clapped out VH motor, that requires head work, then it’s not complex to install hardened seats and valves or even a VL head (which supposedly has hardened seats and valves).

YMMV.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Leased fuel was phased out completely within Australia in January 2002. However, manufacturers knew for quite some time that this was coming and were preparing many years before this date.

From what I’ve read, I believe most vehicles built in 1986 and later were ok to run on unleaded (of the appropriate octane rating).

Since VH was available from 1981 to 1984 and VK was available from 1984 to 1986, these are pre 1986, so it’s probably not ok to run on unleaded without ValveMaster or ValveSaver upper cylinder lubricant. You’d need VL or later to be reasonably certain things are ok with unleaded.

But if it’s an old clapped out VH motor, that requires head work, then it’s not complex to install hardened seats and valves or even a VL head (which supposedly has hardened seats and valves).

YMMV.
Thanks for your reply, not sure about the engine never herd it run, I told him to get rid of it and buy a vr-vs or even a VX because parts are only getting harder to get, his dead set on getting it on the road but I think its a waste of money when you can get a car on the road that's newer and will be trouble free getting parts and be worried about a top end rebuild, the last V8 Chevrolet Impala I did for a mate cost 800 to get the heads done, this car is nothing special with a blue 202 motor.

If it were me I would do all the mechanical first then paint. There almost always unintended knocks when you are doing that much work on a car.
That's my thoughts also but I think his wasting his money on doing it up unless it was a V8. Parts alone will cost 1k or more plus 800 to paint, then cost putting it on the road. The interior is mickey mouse that's all that's going for it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute