Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH HOLDEN 1982 m76 borg-warner 5-speed cluch problems

VH HOLDEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore 1982
HI hope someone can help i have a 1900cc 1982 vh commy. I took out the 4 speed and put in a m76 borg-warner 5-speed, had the drive shaff shortn and changed the diff first to a 2.76 but to much so to a 3.08 im sure he put in at end.

All was ok and fited in then had to change the clutch as the other one was so bad had indented and was bugged old ower neva changed it , I got a whole clutch kit going off my car as normal for parts..

so got one put it in but when we put it all back together the clutch pedel has no push and is still way up high & when tryed to adjust it from cluch cable the fork touchs the bellhousing ? and still no better at the clutch pedal. and it dose not seem to be engaging ?

I was told this m76 can not be adjusted from the inside of bellhousing ?

was i given wronge clutch ?

did i need a bigger clutch to suit the m76?

hope someone can help thanks

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Is the friction plate fitted the right way round?

VH HOLDEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore 1982
yes it is, do you know if the thrust bearing in the m76 5 speed is bigger then in the 4 speed they both measure the same. the ones i have

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
did you check the measurement on the pivot ball before assembling? best result i get is to wind it out 3/4" and lock it off.

VH HOLDEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore 1982
did you check the measurement on the pivot ball before assembling? best result i get is to wind it out 3/4" and lock it off.

I was told this m76 can not be adjusted from the inside of bellhousing ? so no i didnt im starting to think they sold me the wronge kit as the teeth dont seem to press out as far as the last plate for conection to be made. or i will try this. Thanks