Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh ignition barrel

TUK20Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s1 & vh sl
hey does any1 have pics of what part i need to put on the barrel of my project vh.. i turn the key back and forth and the rod isnt connected to anything and not sure what i need.... ps how do u make a pic come up with ur name when you leave a post

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
did your barrel have a long piece of silver metal sticking out of it at the top?
c66f_1.JPG

that bit needs to go over the little square piece of metal that locks your steering wheel. from memory to put it in you need to put the key in the barrel and turn it to 'accessories' which is between 'lock' and 'on' then slide it into the cylinder. there may be a small piece of plastic that pops in and out of the barrel when you turn the key to lock which you may have to press quite hard to push in as far as you can cos' that will foul on the cylinder when you try to slide it in and make the install impossible.

its best to do this with the steering wheel off btw. its a bit of mucking around too. make sure you hve a beer or something nearby to calm down.

p.s. the little pic is called an avatar and you will find the option to upload one in "user cp" which is a link at the top of this screen.

;)

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
hey does any1 have pics of what part i need to put on the barrel of my project vh.. i turn the key back and forth and the rod isnt connected to anything and not sure what i need.... ps how do u make a pic come up with ur name when you leave a post

I am asumming you mean The pastic cog that connects the back of the cylinder to the square part of the rod that sort of has teeth?
Its either black or white cant remember, dont do many early model Commodores anymore.

Or do you mean the end of the rod further down the column that conects to the actuall switch

Daz

TUK20Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s1 & vh sl
yeah i mean the bit that the rod connects to cuz at the moment i have a rod that moves when i turn the key but its not connected to anything to give power to the car and unsure what i need as were trying to get the motor going but this has held us up

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
yeah i mean the bit that the rod connects to cuz at the moment i have a rod that moves when i turn the key but its not connected to anything to give power to the car and unsure what i need as were trying to get the motor going but this has held us up

Arh cool, I dont have a pic, but from memory its a oblong switch that bolts the column and the end L shape on the rod slides into.
Pretty much the same, apart from maybe wiring from UC Torana to VL Commodore along with HQ to WB.

Dazz

TUK20Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s1 & vh sl
no thanks champ i sourced what i needed thanks mate