Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH instrument cluster into VB - LED lights, Heater Fan

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Hi there,

Having some problems, I just purchased a VB commodore, it is without issues. None of my instrument lights work, after a little researching I decided to fit LED globes, everything worked except the top right globe nearest to the tacho/oil T plug , upon starting my car I noticed the oil gauge drops and sits low and the Tachometer behaves erratically now, jumps, then works then stops. I bypassed a couple of wires from oil sender and coil to rule out if I damage the original wiring but still the same result, to top it off, after removing the cluster multiple times in and out testing with the screen off, I snapped the speedo needle about a 3rd off (so fragile) im currently trying to glue that back on, also found heater core leaking needs replace, heater blower fan also buggered, all this a week before going for a roadworthy. Sheez!

could I have ruined my cluster? I read somewhere these LED globes are ok to use. Ive been looking for clusters, seen a few for VH, is the wiring schematics the same as VB or will this require mods? I was thinking VH cluster with VB fascia? does it work? are the instruments removable if I was to buy gauges separately?

Also, Does anyone know if the heater wires ( tan yellow or orange) returning back from the blower fan to the heater switch, should they have any power, I only have power running through the brown wire to the blower but nothing out. Could it be a blown resistor, maybe I could bypass the resistor to have it as a simple single speed on off switch, I am due for the roadworthy soon and cant find a VB blower fan. Is there a way to test the blower or even the switch separately.

Sorry for the overload of questions, im not as manic as I read. hehe!

Cheers

VDO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB VC VH VK VL
Hi there,

Having some problems, I just purchased a VB commodore, it is without issues. None of my instrument lights work, after a little researching I decided to fit LED globes, everything worked except the top right globe nearest to the tacho/oil T plug , upon starting my car I noticed the oil gauge drops and sits low and the Tachometer behaves erratically now, jumps, then works then stops. I bypassed a couple of wires from oil sender and coil to rule out if I damage the original wiring but still the same result, to top it off, after removing the cluster multiple times in and out testing with the screen off, I snapped the speedo needle about a 3rd off (so fragile) im currently trying to glue that back on, also found heater core leaking needs replace, heater blower fan also buggered, all this a week before going for a roadworthy. Sheez!

You might have plugged the led in the wrong way around, they're polarity conscious.

could I have ruined my cluster? I read somewhere these LED globes are ok to use. Ive been looking for clusters, seen a few for VH, is the wiring schematics the same as VB or will this require mods? I was thinking VH cluster with VB fascia? does it work? are the instruments removable if I was to buy gauges separately?

Pin outs on the VH should match VB VC.

Also, Does anyone know if the heater wires ( tan yellow or orange) returning back from the blower fan to the heater switch, should they have any power, I only have power running through the brown wire to the blower but nothing out. Could it be a blown resistor, maybe I could bypass the resistor to have it as a simple single speed on off switch, I am due for the roadworthy soon and cant find a VB blower fan. Is there a way to test the blower or even the switch separately.

The wiring from the switch to the blower all carry negative only. The brown supplies positive ignition on feed directly to the motor and the switch controls the negative levels to the motor via the resistor. If the resistor is blown (open circuit), the fan should still work on full speed only. If not, check there's negative going into the switch or that the switch is grounded.

Sorry for the overload of questions, im not as manic as I read. hehe!

Cheers