Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Radiator replacement

luxcis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl sedan auto
thanks for both comments. The strange thing is the leaks slow down to just a trickle visible after standing and engine becoming cold. I used Nulon Stop Leak, but it took 3 bottles to get this unusual pattern. If it stops altogether eventually, I'm going to leave the leaky rad in place, but I've lost all faith in copper and brass. It makes no sense but what I wrote here is true. I measured the current through the water and it's below what Adrad mandate. Still they keep corroding out.

The ebay seller seems to have sent me the wrong unit. What you replied makes me more sure. So far no reply from them.

I have a funny feeling these stories about Worley might be an urban myth, but I dont know if there's a sacrificial anode inside.

So I bought a marine anode and I'll try to dangle it inside from the bottom hose via marine grade wire.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I actually bought a 2nd hand 3 core copper radiator to suit this era Commodore yesterday for $100...The place I bought it from has about 4 others in stock....

I have never had an issue with a copper radiator....The only reason I had to buy one yesterday is because some low life scumbag knocked mine off

luxcis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl sedan auto
That's useful. I would gladly pay $100 to keep a spare at home. Can you post the vendor's name here. I expect to get static from the ebay seller over this. They'll tell me I didn't specify the transmission type.

Plus, the radiator had a dent and peeling paint and open, corroded thread at the trans fluid ports; and mangled fins at each end. Over $500 for this. It might even be a reconditioned unit for all I know.

I sympathise about the theft of parts. I've had roof guttering torn off the rear quarter and the black, plastic triangle vent taken from the rear quarter.

VC Commodore, can you advise the shop name. Hope it's not in sth aust.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes it is in S.A

It is Auto Salvage recyclers
9 Chrysler Road
Lonsdale
Ph 08 8186 0111

If you need assistnce with pick up and sending, I'm more than happy to help.