Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e - 1983

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Hi Guys,

Haven't posted an update for a while. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so...

27-02-1001.jpg

27-02-1002.jpg

27-02-1003.jpg

I've also manage to install new front suspension parts. It now has Nolathane bushes and Nolathane adjustable strut mount for chamber and the K-frame received a new coat of paint.

The steering rack is now new and front brakes have also been updated with VT twin piston brakes (have to change the colour from yellow to Matt black)

NewPowersteeringrack3.jpg

VTBrakeupgrade-1.jpg

Also ordered a VT Brake Booster and Master Cylinder kit to complement the front brakes. As for the rear, the idea is to keeping the standard size rear brakes and maybe just installing slotted discs.

The car currently sits in the garage with it bum up in the air and the original VH tank removed (i'm hoping to get a VL tank installed, or any drop tank that would suit) I just have to try and get motivated to install the new rear springs and shocks.

As for the engine. I've managed to change the seals and gaskets, water pump and ignition and put the engine back together. Just last week I gave it a good clean and then hit it with some colour.

I'm really happy with the way it finished up. Sprayed the block in a Matt Black and the Manifold in Aluminium.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Next is the fuel rail and engine covers/rocket covers. The plan is to spray the rail Matt Black and give the front pipe a brushed look. The engine covers/rocket covers will be sprayed the same colour as the car. Thinking of getting the rocket covers smoothed too. not sure yet.

Choosing a blue is also tricky. I want to stay as close to the original so i'm thinking VE omega Dark Blue over Mercury Silver. What do you think?

VEOmegaDarkBlue.jpg

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Also turned the motor over using the starter motor so that the engine is lubricated with oil. From this I discovered that the starter motor is stuffed (the starter motor gear doesn't pop back into place and is always engaged with the flex Plate) I also found that the flexplate is warped and also needs to be changed.

I was surprised to find that most Flex Plates are $300 as are the starter motors. I managed to get a Heavy Duty Magnum Flex plate for less that half the price of a standard one and this included Delivery!!! If anyone is after a Flex Plate save your self some time and money and contact Noel from Magnum Performance Speedshop Supplies - Magnum Performance. I can't recommend their service enough.

I'll keep you all posted, and all you other VH owners, keep the pics and updates coming.

Also, if anyone in Syd has a VL-VP fuel tank they want to sell or VL turbo diff, let me know.

Daniel

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
progress looks good Daniel
if I can make a suggestion, don't paint the fuel rails black... black absorbs heat. You want to keep the fuel lines/rails as cool as possible.
and it's 'rocker' covers, not 'rocket' ;)

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Thanks mate.

Didn't even cross my mind that the black will retain the heat. I'll probably just clean them up. They won't be seen under the engine cover anyway.

Funny thing is that I call them rocker covers. not sure why I wrote rocket - what a goose

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Tried fitting the engine today with the headers on to see if they clear the power steering rack and they do. A real tight fit though.

Enginetrialfit27-08-104.jpg

Enginetrialfit27-08-10.jpg

Had to mount the right header pipe when the engine was out of the car and then mount the left one when it was in the car. Noticed that the power steering hoses are very close to the header, should I wrap the hose in heat wrap of should it be ok?

Also installed the VN drop tank to see if it fit ok and becuase I was dying to see what the car would look like. I'll be getting it sprayed in silver with black straps before fitting it to the car.

Enginetrialfit27-08-107.jpg

I have a few days off work this week so plan on dropping the transmission over to Hercules competition engines for a freshen up and perhaps a shift kit.

Here's a few more pics with the new lens I got while overseas.

Enginetrialfit27-08-1010.jpg

Enginetrialfit27-08-1011.jpg

Enginetrialfit27-08-1014.jpg

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
very nice mate, always loved the vh's. Can't wait to see it when it's finished, brings back memorys of my old vh :(

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Sorry about the very late reply.

Engine is standard apart from a HSV tune, Castle Maine extractors and will eventually get a 70mm throttle body. i'm hoping to get about 200kw from the motor. The gear box has a stage 2 shift kit, corvette servos and i'm picking up a Slingshot Converter later this week. It's a 9.5inch lock up converter set to 2800rpm.

The plan is to throw the 304 in and enjoy the car for a while. Eventually I want to build a 383 motor for the car. Not after big horse power, about 400Hp with a heap of torque.

Since I last posted here i've gathered a few more bits and pieces. The car is now waiting to have a Vl Turbo Diff installed. It has 3.45 gears, LSD and VL Turbo Rear Disc Brakes/
Also purchased adjustable Rear Control Arms and Adjustable Panhard rod from Lauria Motorsport

product12.jpg

product22.jpg

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm just curious, because I'm going to be attempting a similar conversion very soon - what are you doing about fuel delivery to the EFI motor? :)

Cheers,

Morton.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Using the original fuel line but getting a VL/VK return fuel line and fitting it.

I've also got a VN long range fuel tank.