Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e - 1983

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
we have our trans cooler lones down the drivers side of the car, you should be right just make sure their not too close

car looks good, got some recent pics mate?

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
The body looks exactly as when I got it.

Only difference cosmetically is the VT Engine covers, new brakes and the car has been washed about 6 months ago.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

I'll have to get pics of the newly painted VR long range tank and straps. Went with GM Black tank and Mercury Silver straps

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
did u fix the rust/corrosion from the battery ?

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Not yet. The airbox is just dummy fitted at the moment to the TB. Plan is to get the booster and master cylinder in so the brakes work (so I can stop it from rolling down the drive way when we load it on a trailer) and then take it to a mates place where I'll get a new plate welded in where the battery tray was and get the car wired up and battery relocated to the boot.

I'm dreading the wiring and have no idea how to use a welder hence the reason why I'll be taking the car to my mates. He's a mechanic and very handy with the welder

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
My mate and I started wiring up the car last week (It's only taken me 2 years to get to this point...) and we have run in to some trouble.

I'm using a V6Conversions wiring kit and are having issues trying to get spark from the coil. We can get the car to crank but there's no power going to the coil and thus the spark plugs.
It seems that when we try to crank the car power is getting cut to the coil.

Anyone have any ideas or ever used the V6Conversion wiring kit?

Wiring1.jpg

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
looking good mate,how does she idle and drive do you know yet?
I've had dramas with mine as well as 3 other guys on this forum,we didn't use the already made loom like we should of though!

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Haven't driven it yet but it sounds awesome. It's only got the headers on at the moment which finishes at the gearbox so it loud. Engine runs very smooth. Starts up first go and runs very smooth.

Daniel
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I've had dramas with mine as well as 3 other guys on this forum,we didn't use the already made loom like we should of though!

How much are the "ready made" looms? I done a bit of research using notes off here (big thx to delcowizzard) to wire up my EFI 5L into my VK....and when it come time to do it, it didn't take long and only ran into one small problem which only took a few minutes to suss out. But overall was piss easy to do, and only cost maybe $30-$40 which was for a pair of relays, few packets of terminals and a roll or 2 of wire.

Obviously wiring isn't for everyone tho, I just get a bit of a kick out of getting something like that working.

Good to finally see the car running Dan, great work!

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I got mine off ebay. The guys selling it sold his VH and didn't need it. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. I got the wiring kit to suit the car and engine conversion, an electric speedo and the BCM eliminator for under $800 posted. would have cost me almost double to buy it direct. I had also looked at getting an auto electrician to do it from scratch and that would have cost over $1K plus the $ transporting the car there and back.

There isn't much to it if you're mechanically minded. I have little idea of the cars electronics so didn't want to gamble trying to figure it out myself. In addition to this, the engine is out of a VR with electronic transmission which i've heard is more involved compared to a VN-VP 304.