Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e - 1983

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
for all those wondering the 304 clutch fan will fit the VH.
I'm just Waiting for the fan to arrive now along with new heater hoses, PVC hoses and valve.

Wiring is just about sorted now. Just tidying the under dash harness, then it's on to the fuel lines.

As i've got a VR engine and 4L60E gearbox, I'm trying to find a solution to retain the original speedo. I know a few conversion places sell something called "Cable-X" but their asking in excess of $600. I've found one in the states on ebay for half that landed in OZ (Ebay item)

What I would love to get my hands on is Kalmeker's "Piggy Back Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)" but I've email them and had no response. Kalmeker VSS
Anyone know a contact number or alternate email for them?

What have others used for their VR-VS conversions besides an electric speedo?

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I think I'll be getting that Cable X unit. It can adjust the speedo to fit diff and tyre size so it's future proof.
On another note my mate managed to graft the VH & VR shifter together so it looks standard in the cabin and fits the box. Only thing is that I've lost the ability to go into 1st. I could notch out the gate but i don't think ill be needing to select 1st very often. I can always notch it later on if needs.
Here's the latest update pic.

4110921A-3A10-4C39-8BC9-EF2254CB888B-4070-00000350429703E3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I've run into a few drama's with the CAE Headers (to suit the VH EFI conversion) They don't fit.

Once bolted to the engine they hit, actually rest on the underside of the car and don't leave much room for the fuel line to run up into the engine bay in the stock position. So this means either buying a set of Hurricane headers, going custom or fixing the problem with the CAE headers.

I've opted to go with the 3rd choice. Looking at extending the primary pipes so that the whole thing hangs a little lower than the way they are now and if it all turns out good I may get them ceramic coated. As for the fuel line, I'm looking at re-routing it so it's away from the exhaust altogether.

It's the old two steps forward and one back progress...

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Here's my engine bay at the moment. I used a metal holesaw to drill a hole above the original VK loom to put the VN loom into. My heaterbox is gone, and yeah the wiring prolly wouldn't fit there if the heaterbox was still there. Also the wiring from the VK loom which we don't need is taped up and poked back through one of the smaller holes above the VN loom. Dodgy, but is just a temp thing lol.

DSCF8905640x480.jpg
ive gotta patch my hole up from when i had the 5.0L wiring comin through the wall too....now im goin back to carb!....shouldve never gone efi...oh well, live n learn i guess

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I've managed to wire the car up and leave the original heater box. I can fix the fuel line issue but it seems that the "conversion parts" that I thought would make things easier are causing the trouble. Should have it finished within the next few weeks

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Thought I'd post up some pics of the engine bay and front end. Engine, wiring and fuel system are all in and working. Just have to put the headlights blinkers grille and interior back in now.

banepuhy.jpg

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
The cars alive and slowly being put back together.
Had a little trouble with the brake lines leaking at the master cylinder but got Pirtek to fix that.
Now getting the car towed to an exhaust shop this weekend. Going to get a twin 2.5 inch stainless exhaust from the headers over the diff and probably a twin 2.5 or 3 inch tips.
Can't wait. Ill post pics once its done.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
The cars alive and slowly being put back together.
Had a little trouble with the brake lines leaking at the master cylinder but got Pirtek to fix that.
Now getting the car towed to an exhaust shop this weekend. Going to get a twin 2.5 inch stainless exhaust from the headers over the diff and probably a twin 2.5 or 3 inch tips.
Can't wait. Ill post pics once its done.
you running twin all the way to the rear?? are u fitting a X pipe or a H pipe? Interesting how it will bend up over the diff?

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Plan is to run twin all the way to the rear. Spoke to Chris from Best Mufflers and he said it can be done but only with stainless steel. It will be a tight fit and I have the pan hard rod with the kink in it to help.
It'll most likely be running an X pipe. I left it with the exhaust place to decided.