Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SL/E 4.2 Trimatic .. Constant squeak??

ezkii

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with a constant squeak coming from the rear of the car? It is there constantly when driving so I was assuming it was coming from the suspension somewhere. I guess I was just wondering if anyone has come across this before so I can get an idea before I fork out money for new shocks and springs if it isn't them.

Someone at a swap meet mentioned to me that this was a common problem with the VH SL/E but wasn't sure what caused it. I have been unable to find any reports of this online though.

Thanks heaps.

P.S. The car is a VH SL/E 4.2 Trimatic, all original.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
wheel bearings?

ezkii

Reaction score
Hadn't thought of bearings, I will check that option. Thanks.

Hard to narrow down the squeak. It is at the back end, constant even over the smallest bump, doesn't seem to appear when standing on the towbar and jumping up and down though, can be heard clearly from standing outside the vehicle as it drives past. The Repco service agent I use couldn't narrow it down and neither could the Bridgestone tyre centre. New suspension was just the obvious suggestion from them both.

Definitely external as it gets quieter with the windows up.

Just though I would explore this 'common' problem scenario that the bloke at the swap meet mentioned, obviously he was wrong.

Thanks heaps for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Ez

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
does the frequency of squeaking change with vehicle speed? If so you have a rotating part issue (i.e. a bearing somewhere); if not it's a bush or something.....

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ive had a squeak in the rear end of mine ever since i converted it to disc brakes, it could just be the pads touching the disc ever so slightly when the axles move that tiny little bit when you hit a bump, the more the bearings are worn the worse the squeak will be. Hold your foot on the brake while driving along to check.

ezkii

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

The squeak is a constant pitch and frequency, it doesn't change with speed, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ezkii

Reaction score
Never heard of a panhard bar, but will check it out.

Thanks

ezkii

Reaction score
I will try the brake test tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.