Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH sl/e - SS build thread

Jack Agius

Reaction score
Members Ride
E250 '16, VH SLE '83, 2002 BMW '74, 964 911. ect..
Hey guys, I thought I'd start a little build thread on my recently purchased Vh sle.
In my younger days I've gone through a few Vls, however all turbo models.

Maybe I'm getting old but the grumble of a v8 has been calling me in my sleep and I happened to find this one on Facebook marketplace of all things... I wasn't even looking for a car, I just like to browse occasionally and this was at the top of the page and had been put up for sale 1 minute before I decided to browse around.

I won’t go into how much I paid for the car other than to say that I'm very happy with the price. The guy I bought the car off was the most genuine guy I've met, he had received offers for almost twice what I paid for it however being a man of his word, because I had contacted him first he wanted me to buy the car... when it came time to hand over the money he even asked if I was happy with the price or if I wanted to negotiate at all... needless to say I paid the full advertised amount. After checking the tags we confirmed that it is a genuine VH SLE, 253 with an M40.

The next day a friend of mine collected the car on a tow truck and brought it back to my workshop...
Once back at the shop and up in the air we decided to have a good look over her and see what exactly it was we were working with.

We were pleasantly surprised with seeing almost all of the suspension had been overhauled, the only issues we had are a leaking power steering pump and the car needed front brakes replaced.

Not bad considering it had been sitting in a shed for 3 years before I decided to pick her up.

We checked the oil and topped her up, put some fuel in and threw in a shop battery and….. broooom she fired to life. She runs a little rich but other than that she runs great. We flushed the oil and replaced the filter, refilled her and played with carbie a little. I’m happy with how she runs, she’s not going to be a 500hp car with the little 253 but she sounds nice and just grumpy enough to burble through the exhaust.

My plan is to remove all the Brock and Marlboro stickers, have her painted in Alabaster white and add an SS kit. - fix the interior, try and bring it back to stock as much as possible.

I’ve been scrolling through eBay, gumtree, Facebook and this forum and have now got quite a little collection of parts for her.

Ohh and she only arrived here at the shop on Wednesday last week, so I guess you could say we’re making good progress.

Anyway, attached are some pictures, let me know what you think…

Thanks - Jack.

Attachments

• IMG_4331.png
    IMG_4331.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 656
  • IMG_4333.png
    IMG_4333.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 535
  • IMG_4337.png
    IMG_4337.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 573
  • IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_4373.JPG
    IMG_4373.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_4399.JPG
    IMG_4399.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 418

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Nice one mate, you have your work cut out for you, best of luck with it.

Jack Agius

Reaction score
Members Ride
just thought i'd add the list of parts I've bought over the last week, ill post a picture of the current "stock" tomorrow

I've still got a list of things as long as my arm that I'm yet to track down.

Attachments

• partslist.jpg
    partslist.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 388

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
There is a lot of work in that with not much sle or slx bits left on it.

Big Banger replica would be far easier & it's already half way there.

Post up tag specs to see what car started life as.

Jack Agius

Reaction score
Members Ride
I personally don't find the big banger very good looking. I guess it's all about personal preference.
The sle tail lights were in the boot, so were the extensions, the dash is in great nick with no cracks, its just vinyl sticker stuff applied over the top.

interior is in great nick, minus the passengers side seat.

I forgot to mention probably the best part, 77k original kms on it.

it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay but I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 335

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
From pics looks like important sle parts missing especially interior.

Bit biased when it comes to vh sle..reckon they're one of few cars that look spot on from factory.

Agree you don't build them for people's opinions...very few like my 2 tone sle untill they've seen it a few times lol

Jack Agius

Reaction score
Members Ride
From pics looks like important sle parts missing especially interior.

Bit biased when it comes to vh sle..reckon they're one of few cars that look spot on from factory.

Agree you don't build them for people's opinions...very few like my 2 tone sle untill they've seen it a few times lol

What parts from the interior are missing? I’m trying to sort it out so any help would be greatly appreciated!

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Clock / trip computer display is missing is what jumps out at me. Are you returning it to original SL/E factory spec or a modded streeter? I note on your parts list you have a body kit and bonnet scoop, be a shame not to have it back to factory spec but it is you car matey, go for it!

Jack Agius

Reaction score
Members Ride
unfortunately the trip computer is gone, but I'm on the hunt. it's also really hard to find someone that's happy to sell just one passengers seat haha!

I'm doing a ss group 3 mock up, so unfortunately it wont be original.

I found this one online and am absolutely in love, so this is what I'll be aiming to achieve

Attachments

• 66a4715f258e47a157cb6059d4636a5e.jpg
    66a4715f258e47a157cb6059d4636a5e.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 394

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
With the passenger seat, motor trimmer? Or get the trimmer to do both front seats so as they match or maybe the back as well? Or while he is at it, door trims too. If you go that far maybe all the interior? he he he
Cars are an expensive hobby.