Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLE 2 TONE blue/silver rebuild

VH SLE BLUE/SILVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 2 TONE blue/silver
Just purchased a reasonably good condition vh sle in the 2 tone blue/silver with everything being standard untouched I'm looking at restoring it. First question, where to start? engine bay? interior? paint? motor? I wanna bring it back to it it's better days. I also don''t wanna do things by halves so I know there will be lots of $'s that will be spent. any help?

VH SLE BLUE/SILVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
also, if i changed the interior, smoothed engine bay ect, would a car like this have more value in future if i was to keep everything original or wouldn't make no diff.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
no, leave it as original as possible. idiot owners of these dont realise that they are holding onto gems that (in 5-10 years) will be worth the same as a torana is today.

original, original, original.

source as many original SL/E parts as you can to replace anything that hase been changed, i.e. if they fitted a stereo, change it back, etc.

put as little paint on it as you can, try and find original cloth to repair the seats if they need it, if not go get some nice sturdy seat covers if you plan to drive it. keep it covered if its going to be parked up.

VH SLE BLUE/SILVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
When you mean original cloth?, do you mean same colour, style but new from reupholster? how hard would it be to find original cloth in good condition? with paint, do you think just a respray or bare metal respray.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
bare metal going to cost a lot but if it needs a lot of body work its the way to go. Personally i agree with ari keep it ridgey didge blue over silver SL/E's are mint easily best looking VH's ever.
the only mod i'd do is clear indicators but that easy to swap back to original
Is it a V8 ???

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
Chuck up heaps of piks of interior/exterior I wannnna see :)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I'd keep it original but I'd definitely smooth the engine bay and hide the wiring that old school wiring look like crap.
I had a quote to re-upholster my old SLE in the original blue leather about five years ago and they quote me $3000.

VH SLE BLUE/SILVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
it's a 253, with all electrics windows,trip ect. with the respray, i got access to soda blaster so is this the best option to take or just a simple respray will do? should all the interior be removed before i tackle this or is this going to far with messing with the originality of the car if i was to reupholster and bare metal respray the car.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
it's a 253, with all electrics windows,trip ect. with the respray, i got access to soda blaster so is this the best option to take or just a simple respray will do? should all the interior be removed before i tackle this or is this going to far with messing with the originality of the car if i was to reupholster and bare metal respray the car.

*sigh* it seems tha you are set on respraying it. any chance of a few pics? namely the front and rear windscreens and the bottoms of the doors.