Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLE electric windows question

James_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VH 304 EFI
Hi guys, I have a 1981 VH SLE that is a factory 5L with a "382 pack" and I've got some conflicting information about the car that I'm hoping someone can clarify.

I bought the car with no electric windows, I've been told that the first series only came with manual windows and the electrics were only an option in the late 81 early 82 model SLE's and that's why mine doesn't have them installed. The car has all the ID tags and pretty much everything else to verify what it is but recently I was told that all the 5L VH SLE's came with electric windows no matter what year they were and it was very weird mine didn't have them.

Is anyone able to verify this?

Thank you!

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
First thing, there is no series one or two, just to clear this up.
Second, nope, still an option with 382 pack. Even VK Calais had optional electric windows

James_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VH 304 EFI
Second, nope, still an option with 382 pack. Even VK Calais had optional electric windows
Thank you sir! Username definitely checks out

James_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VH 304 EFI
Sorry, just a follow up question; is the fuse box diagram different for a car with electric windows compared to one without? Here is a picture of mine (no electric windows); would one with electric windows have a different diagram to this?
4F3E14B6-8F16-49F1-9187-0E920C19C2BC.jpeg

If not is there any other way to identify if a car 100% came with electric windows? like the ID tags etc

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
328 option pack only lists central locking, rear head restraints and dual exhaust.

Only way is if, IF, the production broadcast sheet is under the carpet, kick panel etc. Highly doubt it has it though.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It would have been easier to change doors than pull them apart etc if you think someonne has chanmged them to manual winders or vice bersa

Power windows were optional extra although had thought vk calais was first to get them standard as never seen one with manual windows...anything is possible if knew right people.

Most cars were ordered by dealerships then if buyer wanted a particular option they'd pay dealership to fit it or sometimes to improve sales dealership would get cars two-toned with mercury silver added....most vh sle were 253/manual windows/exhaust & single colour.

Reason why so few 5ltr cars was the steep price hike so buyers bought a Brock instead.

James_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VH 304 EFI
It would have been easier to change doors than pull them apart etc if you think someonne has chanmged them to manual winders or vice bersa

Power windows were optional extra although had thought vk calais was first to get them standard as never seen one with manual windows...anything is possible if knew right people.

Most cars were ordered by dealerships then if buyer wanted a particular option they'd pay dealership to fit it or sometimes to improve sales dealership would get cars two-toned with mercury silver added....most vh sle were 253/manual windows/exhaust & single colour.

Reason why so few 5ltr cars was the steep price hike so buyers bought a Brock instead.
Thanks Gtr! What was the price difference between a 308 and 253 in the SLE?

I was asking because I'm considering converting the manual windows to electric but I want to wire it in as if it was factory (which is why I asked about the diagram). My goal is to keep the restoration true to its era (besides the driveline). If the fuse box is the same in original electric window cars I just need to find out where it's all wired and then re-do the rear door cards etc (I'm planning to re-do the whole interior except the seats anyway).

P.S. Thanks Damien

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
328 option pack only lists central locking, rear head restraints and dual exhaust.

Only way is if, IF, the production broadcast sheet is under the carpet, kick panel etc. Highly doubt it has it though.
Just fixing your lil typo @328 :)
382 VH SLE 5.0 LITRE AUTO 15" ALLOY WHEELS, RECLINING BUCKET SEATS, POWER DOOR LOCKS ADJUSTABLE REAR SEAT HEAD RESTRAINTS, DUAL EXHAUSTS.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Thanks Gtr! What was the price difference between a 308 and 253 in the SLE?

I was asking because I'm considering converting the manual windows to electric but I want to wire it in as if it was factory (which is why I asked about the diagram). My goal is to keep the restoration true to its era (besides the driveline). If the fuse box is the same in original electric window cars I just need to find out where it's all wired and then re-do the rear door cards etc (I'm planning to re-do the whole interior except the seats anyway).

P.S. Thanks Damien
fuse box/cover looks to be the same minus the electrical extra options connections.
Not sure if the electrical options loom for power windows/central locking/air con is fitted standard in factory car bodies ready or only when option ordered with new car purchase, if not you will need to source loom/switches/circuit breakers from a donor vehicle.

Good luck with all the switches apart from availability and pri$e, being approx 40 years old many of the copper connections are dodgy along with the window motors and then issues with glass bailey channel with up and down wear.
In the end really all you need is the drivers window electric, the other three doors don't matter.:)

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Just fixing your lil typo @328 :)
382 VH SLE 5.0 LITRE AUTO 15" ALLOY WHEELS, RECLINING BUCKET SEATS, POWER DOOR LOCKS ADJUSTABLE REAR SEAT HEAD RESTRAINTS, DUAL EXHAUSTS.
They don't have adjustable rear seat head restraints