Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLE Power Steering Hard Lines Trouble

wildwogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
'83 VH SL/E, '97 VT S-Pack S1
Hey all,

I've recently purchased a VH SLE (factory 6cyl) that has had a 308 swap done at some stage and I'm having a bit of trouble with getting the power steering hard lines installed.
The previous owner left the 6cyl hard lines in there before doing the engine swap and sold as unfinished project. I have a complete rack assembly from a V8 VH SLE which I'm using for parts. I have managed to disconnect the 6cyl lines and slide them out from the rack with a lot of swearing but couldnt for the life of me manage to work the V8 hard lines into place.

Is there some trick to getting these installed, or do I have to drop the rack / remove the extractors / starter motor?
Last 6 to V8 power steering conversion I was involved with (on a VK) we did it while the engine was out of the car which made things a whole lot easier -- wish this was the case.

Any advice is appreciated -- Cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. lift the engine
the hard lines wind their way along and behind the sump (to the rack)
and
yes
removing the RH driver side extractor will prevent lots of swearing

wildwogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
'83 VH SL/E, '97 VT S-Pack S1
.. lift the engine
the hard lines wind their way along and behind the sump (to the rack)
and
yes
removing the RH driver side extractor will prevent lots of swearing

Thanks mate I'll have another crack next weekend

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I've done it the other way car high up on stands,no rack or pump fitted then you sort of cork screw the lines upwards from underneath...helps if someone near battery to help eyeball & guide the lines.

Guarantee there will be swearing,some cuts & thoughts of violence.

*** Had no chance getting extractors out with efi heads & pacemakers basically meant fun job of rack out,starter etc

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Hey all,

I've recently purchased a VH SLE (factory 6cyl) that has had a 308 swap done at some stage and I'm having a bit of trouble with getting the power steering hard lines installed.
The previous owner left the 6cyl hard lines in there before doing the engine swap and sold as unfinished project. I have a complete rack assembly from a V8 VH SLE which I'm using for parts. I have managed to disconnect the 6cyl lines and slide them out from the rack with a lot of swearing but couldnt for the life of me manage to work the V8 hard lines into place.

Is there some trick to getting these installed, or do I have to drop the rack / remove the extractors / starter motor?
Last 6 to V8 power steering conversion I was involved with (on a VK) we did it while the engine was out of the car which made things a whole lot easier -- wish this was the case.

Any advice is appreciated -- Cheers

Hi mate, any chance you still have the 6cyl hard lines?