Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLE Upper Door Colour

Jeffro75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 304 EFI AUTO
Hi, I've owned two almost identical VH SLE's. Both 253's, both 1983 models, both green over silver, both with manual windows and no cruise. On my first one, which my brother still owns, the door colour and 'B' pillar are in body colour (green), in my current car it is black. I've seen both on lots of SLE's, is there any explanation as to why one is black and the other is not???
I haven't checked the option plate on my brother's but could it be that one was built in Adelaide and the other in Melbourne maybe?? Personally I think the body colour looks better and would want to change mine if I respray but thought I better understand if it is important before I change.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Factory shadow tone had top body colour, single colour had black door frames and B pillar.
On the ID plate the trim code that starts like 4007 or 4008 then 39Y or 39V, the first part will denote shadowtone.
Paint will list 2J011-D, Mercury Silver.

Jeffro75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 304 EFI AUTO
Sorry Dude, but mine's definitely a factory Shadowtone, confirmed by option plate and yes, lists Mercury Silver as the colour. Also confirms the green interior trim only available with either full green or shadowtone green SLE's. I've seen heaps both ways, too many to be replicas...

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Perhaps its had a respray in its life.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
I would suggest a respray. My VH SL/E 5.0 is solid white (factory) and the B pillars were painted the body colour by the previous owner after he backed into a barbed wire fence (country car originally). When I have the car resprayed the B pillars will be returned to satin black (or whatever the factory colour is).