Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLE windscreen mould

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I recently bought windscreen rubbers for my car. The front mould was wider than the back. The person who came to fit the windscreen said it was the wrong one so I got in contact with the company who provided the windscreen rubber. They said that it was the correct one and that they would happily refund my money but I would have to pay the cost of returning it. I contacted Rare spares and they say that all vh commodores came with the wide mould except the export model. My car is an export model. The windscreen man came today and fitted the front and rear windscreen. He tells me that the wide screen mould is for the Calais.

Could someone please tell me what the correct mould is for the vh?

Thanks Keith

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
G'day Keith,

Firstly, there is no such thing as a VH Calais.

Secondly, the guy who said all VH windscreen rubbers were the same is either full of it or doesn't know what he's talking about!

VH SL/E and SS have a different front & rear windscreen rubber and trim to the lessor models with a much narrower & deeper channel that the mouldings press into. The mouldings are a different shape and have a protruding section that presses into the rubbers.

The SL/E and SS mouldings were essentially the same, except SL/E were chrome (or clear coated stainless) and the SS were black.

Andrew

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Got a picture of your current install? As above there's no Calais but the VH SLE has the same type as the later VK Calais. It's a solid metal three piece trim that presses into a thin, deep slot before fitment (bitch of a job). Lesser models have a wide channel for a locking strip that goes in after fitment. There's also just a plain blank with neither. Lots of these were converted to locking strip because the solid metal moulds damage easily

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
The description on the packaging was seal screen front Calais "S" vk vc-vh. There was no intention on the installers part to suggest that there was a vh Calais. He did however say that this was the wrong seal for my car. Rare Spares differed in that they said that wide seal was for all but the export model. The people I bought the seal from say it was the correct one. The screen that I got from Rare Spares was the same as the one I took out that also matches the rear regarding the size of the mould. One piece of mould goes from bottom corner across the top to the other bottom corner and a separate piece goes across the bottom.

One day when I either learn how to post pictures or find someone that can all will be revealed

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's the locking strip type, chrome corner pieces? It's the most common. Whoever you got out to do the job didn't want to do it I'd say. It isn't wrong, it's just not what the SLE had but he should have a roll of the wide type strip and some mastic sealer on hand to do the job

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's the locking strip type, chrome corner pieces? It's the most common. Whoever you got out to do the job didn't want to do it I'd say. It isn't wrong, it's just not what the SLE had but he should have a roll of the wide type strip and some mastic sealer on hand to do the job
Yes it is the locking strip type. I've owned the car for about 23 years and that's what it had before the car was painted. However I have no idea what happened to the car before I owned it. Bit sad that it the wrong one but it's staying that way now. On the other hand nothing except the body is very original about the car so perhaps it wont matter to much.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Larger seal strip would be 35mm wide and rear slightly smaller at about 30mm

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yes it is the locking strip type. I've owned the car for about 23 years and that's what it had before the car was painted. However I have no idea what happened to the car before I owned it. Bit sad that it the wrong one but it's staying that way now. On the other hand nothing except the body is very original about the car so perhaps it wont matter to much.

Don't sweat it. Back when I was a windscreen fitter it wasn't uncommon for folk to ask us to do away with the metal moulds. Besides being a nightmare job to fit them, they were prone to leaks and led to plenum rust. They cut through the rubber eventually. Locking strip was a breeze, worked and didn't look much different. Sounds like you just need to find a better mob to do the work for you. It won't devalue the car in any way

Maybe grab the rubber and this strip, comes with fresh corners. It's 12mm from memory

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rares...ing-strip-front-windscreen-vb-vc-vh-commodore

This is the compatible rubber

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/buy/wsf115a/windscreen-seal-vb-all-vc-vh-exc-ss-sle

The rear is a narrow rubber and strip, not interchangeable

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't sweat it. Back when I was a windscreen fitter it wasn't uncommon for folk to ask us to do away with the metal moulds. Besides being a nightmare job to fit them, they were prone to leaks and led to plenum rust. They cut through the rubber eventually. Locking strip was a breeze, worked and didn't look much different. Sounds like you just need to find a better mob to do the work for you. It won't devalue the car in any way

Maybe grab the rubber and this strip, comes with fresh corners. It's 12mm from memory

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rares...ing-strip-front-windscreen-vb-vc-vh-commodore

This is the compatible rubber

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/buy/wsf115a/windscreen-seal-vb-all-vc-vh-exc-ss-sle

The rear is a narrow rubber and strip, not interchangeable
Those are the parts I have. Thanks for your help.