Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLX, Would a V8 master cylinder fit on a 6 cylinder braking system

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I went to a 1” master on my VP ute years ago and put a V8 booster on.
I recall I had to change the pipes to suit a different flare design and a different bracket for the master to strut Tower.

I don’t recall what I did with the proportioning part.

Why not just change the booster too? It’s no biggie.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I went to a 1” master on my VP ute years ago and put a V8 booster on.
I recall I had to change the pipes to suit a different flare design and a different bracket for the master to strut Tower.

I don’t recall what I did with the proportioning part.

Why not just change the booster too? It’s no biggie.

I've had all combinations on my VC...single diaphram booster, with both M/C's and double diaphram booster with both M/C's....

The only difference is the bolt positioning on the strut tower.....The bracket is identical, however if you change the booster from one to the other, from what was originally fitted, you'd have to modify the bracket to suit :)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
It is strange you mention this.....I had a booster fail on me and it actually caused my brakes to lock after about 20 minutes of driving....
I think your problem was caused by the booster having too much pushrod length and after a few applications it was not allowing the cups in the master cylinder to come back far enough to expose ports for the fluid to return to the reservoir...so it sort of like driving with your foot on the brake pedal.
I have found when a booster fails it can cause excessive travel but also then it can also make the brakes slam on right at the floor depending on wear dimensions and tolerances but the problem wont disappear when you try to bleed the master cylinder like you have.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I have experimented with different size MCs and the smaller bore definitely places more pressure on the caliper pistons and pulls you up quicker. The smaller bore also flexs the lines more. The larger bore generally is used on twin piston or more piston calipers. A large bore MC on single piston calipers and standard booster and all else being the same will feel like a rock.

Whats a large bore ???? you experimented with ???

You might be getting too confused Losh, the large bore was used on single c/piston that used a larger disk. On a twin caliper pistons and more, an even larger bore m/c with quickfill benefit to cater for more pots and bigger disk/pad sizes was used.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have experimented on the RD but essentially its the same principle.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Thanks guys hmm getting conflicting info first message saying it should fit with no modifications, last message saying I would need the booster as well,

i had a look at the VL turbo - V8 master cylinder online but the front brake line is in the completely different spot (Vh front line is on the side of the master cylinder and the VL turbo / V8 one goes up from the bottom, would that means I would have to find a VL front brake line some where

Get the vb-vk 1" then that was fitted to v8 dealer police and hdt cars and your lines will match, and as a few of us have mentioned depending on your booster size you might need to mod the strut m/c bracket. Easier to take old m/c in and match with new one in shop, if you don't want to research/understand all the different booster and m/c options.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
RD 400