Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh slx

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
So after finding out the outrageous panel costs needed to panel and paint my vb I have spent the last 6 months looking out to see if there’s much better around as a base, I have looked at 3 cars for around 20k and all were meant to be rust free tidy cars, turns out 1 of the 3 was a rusty bogged up heap of junk which was a vb 6 cylinder wagon.
One was reasonably tidy but had been repainted in a guys garage And had some average rust repairs which was a vb sl 6 cylinder and the 3rd is a vh slx 6 cylinder which is really tidy inside and out and has supposedly had a closed door respray 10 odd years ago and presents well but really not knowing what’s going on under the paint and is 15k

I’m tempted to buy this vh because it will save me a lot of time and money repairing mine but I’m really unsure what to do at this stage, I would much rather get my vb done but the reality of it is it will cost alot and will take up alot of my time and I have young kids at the moment but If I rebuild mine at least everything on it will be new and last like the panel repairs etc where as buying a 39 year old one that’s essentially a survivor with a lick of new paint will all need redoing over the years anyway possibly? but at least I will have something to drive straight away? Bearing in mind my vb only owes me $1500 at the moment compared to the price of these cars.

What are peoples thoughts?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you grab a magnet and run it over all the known rust spots, you will be able to tell if that VH has had just a lick of paint or a lick of paint with some filler to boot..

Not knowing how NZ is market wise, I won't advise which direction to head...If it was in Aussie land, I wouldn't be coughing up $15K for a VH.....But I am a tight wad when it comes to car buying... :)

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
I sold my project vk for $17,000 nzd , was a good shell no rust but had been hit in the back and front right corner but was repaired pretty good from what I could see , I sold this about 6 months ago , injected 304 , toploader , certed , needed full respray and glass etc put back together, the guy turned it into a brock rep and last I heard he sold it on for $65,000 , my god, just for a panel and paint , people are paying silly coin for these

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
Yeah they are up in price here as not a lot of good stuff on the market, people paying up to 8k for base model cars that need rust repairs and paint and aren’t roadworthy, my panelbeater I use seems to reckon even at 20k for a car with good body is a good deal if it has no rust and tidy paint.