Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SS

Kirra W

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh ss
Hello I’m wondering is it possible to have compliance plate redone? If so can anyone point me in the direction? Cheers

Attachments

• 833FB654-48C3-499E-90E9-0EDEC3F7B1BB.jpeg
    833FB654-48C3-499E-90E9-0EDEC3F7B1BB.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 8A285BCD-46D2-465E-9119-B4D797AB2A86.jpeg
    8A285BCD-46D2-465E-9119-B4D797AB2A86.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 329

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
no, not possible but
.. jewellers brass brush will clean those up nicely

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It’s just a metal plate so shouldn’t be impossible for someone to remanufacture or “restore” one putting legalities aside :p And what may be illegal here in Australia may be ok elsewhere:rolleyes:

In fact with a quick google, you can find bare plates on eBay and the mobs selling them can also have the vehicle specific numbers stamped on them for an extra fee... Here’s one at https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Austral...g-Part-No-GPS-0049/202656973819?_trkparms=aid

Also found this aussie mob @ https://www.complianceplates.com.au/ so call them and ask...

From this post:

There's a bloke in USA that makes compliance plates. He's a perfectionist, right down to duplicating dumb factory punching.
He's pretty hard on drilling you, and usually wants a scan of your old plate to prove he's not forging. So that would rule you out if you don't have an original.
Google search gives his latest home as http://www.datatags.com/

Mind you, I’ve never tried any of these links so can’t vouch for any of them. But it may give you some options as the first ADR plate you posted is Swiss cheese while the other plate is reasonably good condition for its age...

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It’s just a metal plate so shouldn’t be impossible for someone to remanufacture or “restore” one putting legalities aside :p And what may be illegal here in Australia may be ok elsewhere:rolleyes:

In fact with a quick google, you can find bare plates on eBay and the mobs selling them can also have the vehicle specific numbers stamped on them for an extra fee... Here’s one at https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Austral...g-Part-No-GPS-0049/202656973819?_trkparms=aid

I actually saw these on ebay and lodge a report over them as I'm sure they are illegal to sell....Alas, nothing has been done....

As I see it, it allows shady people more freedom to do what they do best....

I'll also mention, in no way am I insinuating anyone on this forum would be involved in such dealings....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I actually saw these on ebay and lodge a report over them as I'm sure they are illegal to sell....Alas, nothing has been done....

As I see it, it allows shady people more freedom to do what they do best....

I'll also mention, in no way am I insinuating anyone on this forum would be involved in such dealings....
Is remaking plates really illegal or is it that car makers just want to junk old cars at every opportunity? I’d think it’s more a state of CBF helping the average punter restore their pride and joy along with a desire to get as many old cars off the road as possible...

Tje double standards are glaring. Jaguar just recently manufactured old 60’s E type jags using chassis numbers that were from unused gaps in the numbering system from back in the day... new car, new plates and all... and sold each of them for a seven figures payday. These new cars didn’t comply with current design laws at date of actual manufacture, being 2018, so in theory these new old E types can’t be registered... These new old E types also upset the concourse crowd as these weren’t original 60’s built vehicles and simply reduced the value of the real articles while making it difficult to know a good restoration from these new (old) cars... but I’m sure these new old 2018 E types will be road registered once they reach 25yo...

BUT if a more ordinary punter tries to do a restoration himself, on say a VH, and want to have a new plate made up as a replacement for the tarty plate currently on the car, the manufacturers and registration authorities put up all sorts or road blocks in their way... Seems if you have millions, the game is completely different and anything can and is allowed...

So in this case, personally, I see that manufacturers, in conjunction with registration authorities, could make such suspect plate services completely unnecessary by providing a method to replace damaged plates and remove the shady element to what occurs today... All the registration authorities would need to do is allowed a vehicle identity to be verified (paper work and inspection) and then authorise the manufacture to supply a new replacement plates/labels/etc identical to that it was made with...

Obviously rego authorities and manufacturers don’t (currently) do that, so people with skills step up and provide a service that’s needed ... be they within auz (so must follow law) or somewhere outside our jurisdiction (so our laws don’t apply):cool:

So yes, people with such manufacturing skills can misuse them to do shady things or they can use them to do good things, only their morals and ethics decide which of the two choices they will make :eek:

Me, I’ve always found it odd that a kosher restored car looks fantastic except for the complience plates... which look 30, 40 or 50 years old... I’ve seem a few like that and it’s a stupid situation really :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is remaking plates really illegal or is it that car makers just want to junk old cars at every opportunity? I’d think it’s more a state of CBF helping the average punter restore their pride and joy along with a desire to get as many old cars off the road as possible...

Tje double standards are glaring. Jaguar just recently manufactured old 60’s E type jags using chassis numbers that were from unused gaps in the numbering system from back in the day... new car, new plates and all... and sold each of them for a seven figures payday. These new cars didn’t comply with current design laws at date of actual manufacture, being 2018, so in theory these new old E types can’t be registered... These new old E types also upset the concourse crowd as these weren’t original 60’s built vehicles and simply reduced the value of the real articles while making it difficult to know a good restoration from these new (old) cars... but I’m sure these new old 2018 E types will be road registered once they reach 25yo...

BUT if a more ordinary punter tries to do a restoration himself, on say a VH, and want to have a new plate made up as a replacement for the tarty plate currently on the car, the manufacturers and registration authorities put up all sorts or road blocks in their way... Seems if you have millions, the game is completely different and anything can and is allowed...

So in this case, personally, I see that manufacturers, in conjunction with registration authorities, could make such suspect plate services completely unnecessary by providing a method to replace damaged plates and remove the shady element to what occurs today... All the registration authorities would need to do is allowed a vehicle identity to be verified (paper work and inspection) and then authorise the manufacture to supply a new replacement plates/labels/etc identical to that it was made with...

Obviously rego authorities and manufacturers don’t (currently) do that, so people with skills step up and provide a service that’s needed ... be they within auz (so must follow law) or somewhere outside our jurisdiction (so our laws don’t apply):cool:

So yes, people with such manufacturing skills can misuse them to do shady things or they can use them to do good things, only their morals and ethics decide which of the two choices they will make :eek:

Me, I’ve always found it odd that a kosher restored car looks fantastic except for the complience plates... which look 30, 40 or 50 years old... I’ve seem a few like that and it’s a stupid situation really :rolleyes:

I can see your point, of making plates to help with restorations, but as we all know, manufacturers in conjunction with gov'ts and insurance companies tend to look more at how can we prevent the shady side of society rather than how can we help the honest side of society.

This shows with how cans are being made especially in the last 25 + years....They are becoming more difficult to steal and rebirthed.....Even the compliance plates and VIN numbers are more complex in their make up....

So I don't think it is aimed at junking old cars....It's more aimed at protecting the average person not getting stung with a car being stolen or a car being sold to them which actually belonged to someone else...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can see your point, of making plates to help with restorations, but as we all know, manufacturers in conjunction with gov'ts and insurance companies tend to look more at how can we prevent the shady side of society rather than how can we help the honest side of society.

This shows with how cans are being made especially in the last 25 + years....They are becoming more difficult to steal and rebirthed.....Even the compliance plates and VIN numbers are more complex in their make up....

So I don't think it is aimed at junking old cars....It's more aimed at protecting the average person not getting stung with a car being stolen or a car being sold to them which actually belonged to someone else...
Antitheft features were added to cars as consequence of ADR requirements which were pushed from government (though probably not by our laggards as we tend to follow EU design rules)...

But our federal government instigated NEVDIS as a tool to combat vehicle rebirthing by sharing vehicle data and licensing between states. These days, clipping “plates“ from wrecks to use them to rebirth another vehicle is no longer possible as the VIN of a structural write-off is marked as “dead“ and can no longer be used. (Stolen cars may also have their VIN recorded in NEVDIS but not sure).

As such, not allowing plates/labels to be remanufactured is probably more about governments siding with the vehicle industry who simply want to see older cars junked (rather than repaired and/or restored). Heck it wouldn’t surprise me that some new retrospective law will mandate new airbags be installed in a vehicle once it reachEs a certain age (may be 20 years?)... but time will tell... (the Volvo airbag recall for non takata airbags causing a death may be the driver for this)...

So I don’t agree with the old policies around plate remanufacture being a useful tool to suppress
vehicle rebirthing these days. Such suppression of vehicle rebirthing is now better handled via NEVDIS who’s systems become stronger over time and with each vehicle statutory write-off (even for old cars)...

But I don’t write the rules :p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So I don’t agree with the old policies around plate remanufacture being a useful tool to suppress
vehicle rebirthing these days. Such suppression of vehicle rebirthing is now better handled via NEVDIS who’s systems become stronger over time and with each vehicle statutory write-off (even for old cars)...

Except when old mate bends his original car, buys a cheap, lesser model and rebirths that without going through insurance.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Except when old mate bends his original car, buys a cheap, lesser model and rebirths that without going through insurance.
Rebirthing is the act of taking a damaged vehicle‘s ID and moving the identity plates over to a stolen vehicle to mask its theft... It was a big big problem run by organised crime...

If one crashes their own legally registered vehicle and legally buys another lesser example tha5 is not on tne written off vehicle register, there would be little need to swap compliance plates as swapping components would get them back on the road. But if that crashed vehicle was a special edition or something similar, then we are in a much rarer product misrepresentation situation rather than a stolen vehicle situation. So, considering the quality of our law makers, I doubt the law even considered this second situation when it was being formulated. I’d say we are lucky that it has captured this rather rarer misrepresentation activity (which only impacts the anal retentive car enthusiast amongst us) :eek: For the honest car restorer, who likes to preserve the old, it is an obstructionist set or rules with no legitimate way around them (it seems). Hense these OS based plate makers meeting aussies needs ;)

I guess the issue is what type of society one wants to live in. One where laws are so ridged that they capture the bulk of miscreants while also impedes legitimate needs OR one where you’ll capture the majority of miscreants but also allow legitimate edge cases?

The law will always be broken by some people. Such will never change regardless of what laws or punishments are in place. Heck in some jurisdictions, even where the death penalty is at play, some people still dabble with selling illicit drugs. But do we really want a Judge Dredd bureaucracy?