Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SS

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
Ive made a few VIN tags in the CNC machines at work out of billet, its a bit tedious and I only did it for ex race cars turned back into road cars now that they are rare and very cool And to good to bash around the track( have to create a file, set up a machine, spend hours tweaking the "look" of the plate, make a few stuff ups, produce tag, beers all round
Another option if you have some coin- 3d scan the plate(I have had limited success with a XBOX 360 Kinect) , use RhinoCad or something similar to "repair" the ID tag, find someone with a million dollar aluminium powder metal printer(https://amigaeng.com.au/3d-printing/metal-3d-printing/)
send them the STL file and get a quote, some polishing would be needed in a vibra polisher , might be to rough to get the appropriate finish

We use a commercial grade 3d scanner at work to reverse engineer lots of obsolete components but the scanner is worth around $65,000 so the cheaper XBOX Kinect camera might do the job

or you could take a photo of the tag or a better condition one, use Image to STL converter to give it depth and create a file that way?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The discussion started because I mentioned that these plates were being sold through ebay and I saw it as a way shady people could use them for illegal purposes....

You have then gone on saying things about gov'ts junking old cars, and ADR requirements etc etc....Now onto being available through authorised companies.

Yeah, having them available through proper channels, rather than an open market place like ebay would be more suitable...Helps track where they have gone and discourage shonky practices occurring

ADR's and junking old cars have bugger all to do with it
The discussion started because @Kirra W created the thread when asking about getting new plates made up. I was the 3rd to respond and provided a link to eBay page and a link to USA page where one can buy plates. You then replied that it’s illegal and you‘ve reported sellers to eBay... My following reply to you was

So how is it that you started the discussion (rhetorical)?

Regardless, we probably agree more about these plates than seems the case so there is no point in discussing it further.

However, we’ll have to disagree on how the current rules favour product obsolescence which is a favourite of manufacturers and the governments that support them ;)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Nothing like a good VIN :) number
Cant see it would hurt if doing a full resto to replace old crumbly plates in case they fell of and lost. As long as the user has all the correct rego documentation and keeps the original plates in the car to show to ins/police and future sellers, what could be the problem really if your the legal owner ???

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The discussion started because @Kirra W created the thread when asking about getting new plates made up. I was the 3rd to respond and provided a link to eBay page and a link to USA page where one can buy plates. You then replied that it’s illegal and you‘ve reported sellers to eBay... My following reply to you was

So how is it that you started the discussion (rhetorical)?

Regardless, we probably agree more about these plates than seems the case so there is no point in discussing it further.

However, we’ll have to disagree on how the current rules favour product obsolescence which is a favourite of manufacturers and the governments that support them ;)

Yes I mentioned that those ebay ones were reported as I saw it as illegal to sell them...And I continue with the stance selling them through ebay should be illegal as they can be used for re-birthing purposes....Be it because a car has been stolen or a car has been written off...The principal is still the same.....There is no regulation on who gets them and the shady side of society can have a ball with them

Yes I do sympathise with the OP....It does seem plain why they would want them....But unfortunately the shady side of society always seem to force changes, which effect the honest people....

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Al;so in SA these cars like the VH SS on our rego papers/systems have the 10 letters/numbers as the official VIN/Chassis Number for legalities which is stamped on the body as well and matches the compliance plate and that is the plate on the OP's car that is nearly non readable with holes and needs to be replaced in case the body/chassis stamp panel is damaged due to an accident.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
VIN cloning is still going strong

Lots of classic cars are body jobs, the easy ones are the Ford and Holden 4 door grocery getting niche cars, the HSV, GTSR, GT's because all you need is a clean shell and a wrecked car

Hell, the market for turning smashed old and rusty classics of all makes and models is still thriving

Lots of people would be surprised to find that their big dollar classic has a different body than what the tags/numbers were first attached or stamped with

Criminals are doing this as a main source of income

Hence why a rusty old original classic held together by rust and dust gets so much interest

Same same for old race cars, flogged out shells are stripped of roll cages and sold for top dollar after they have had a makeover

Alot of people I know are doing this with their GTR R32-33-34 Skylines track hacks that use to be worth $20k, but now, are lworth at least 4 times that

There are also alot of stolen classics getting shipped overseas

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... There are also alot of stolen classics getting shipped overseas
Yep, and lots of classics stolen overseas also shipped down under... Such illegal trade goes both ways.

... unfortunately the shady side of society always seem to force changes, which effect the honest people....
Sad but true...