Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh stalls when braking/ sqeaky boot in stationwagon

REMOKAYS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 3.3lt holden commodore staionwagon
hi guys,
i have a 3.3lt straight 6 blue motor witha varajet carby on my vh commodore. Standard stuff. Basically the car was sitting there for a while before i got it rego'd the other day, but it seems that when the engine is cold i can pump the brakes hard and the car will just cut out! The engine just gets weaker the harder i press down, so i have to ease into it. Any ideas on how i can fix this? i imagine its one of the settings on the carby but i just dont know. New brake fluid and all....
also... apparently its common for the wagon to have a squeaky rear section- any ideas how to kill this? Ive thought it might be the suspension? cheers for your ideas!

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
hey mate sounds like a problem with ur booster..make sure its holding vacum after the engine is turned off...

i got a wagon too and yer it sounds like the back is a bout to fall of with all the rattles...(i just turn the beats up louder)....i adjusted the tailgate striker to pull the tailgate tighter on the seal when its closed..i found it stopped half the rattles

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Yep as said above its your Booster, either not holding vacuume, or a vacuume leak. Replace it or get it recoe'd.

REMOKAYS

Reaction score
Members Ride
thnx guys, without sounding like a noob, can i ask how i can check this? I don't know what the booster is. i'm good at fixing most probs if i know where i'm going! cheers

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok i'll try expalin to the best of my ability.

the brake booster is a vacum unit thats on the rear of your brake master cylinder.(black round thing)basically it stores vacum created by the engine and use's it to assisit in braking force when the brake pedal is applied.
a way of checking weather your booster is working properly is as follows..

1)start engine ,let run for a minute or so ,as to build up vacum in the booster.

2)turn off engine..

3)depress and relaese brake pedal ..you shud hear a kinda ,air hissing sound.after about 3 or so pumps of the pedal it will feel different..it will become harder..

4)holding the brake pedal in the applied posistion,start the engine. if the pedal sinks lower a touch and less effort is requried to hold it there. then the booster is working..if not u havemost probably got an air leak in the diaghram..

hope that helps mate..

REMOKAYS

Reaction score
Members Ride
jeez what a champion reply. Well that is about the best answer i have ever seen. Easy to follow i'll say. thanks i'll check it ay

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
no probs mate .let us know how u go