Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH system installation

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah i'd just be buying a head-unit and a good set of coaxials. You wont be able to factor in an amplifier / wiring kit / box for the sub for under $350. Plus its not the easiest of jobs installing an amp.

Decent head-unit ($150) and a good set of coaxials ($100) will leave you with $100 spare.

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
nice maths holdenboy :p

what does the head unit actually do... like what makes one better than the other besides the extra gadgets?

btw the sub ive got is orion. good brand? i have no idea how many W it is

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I'd be looking at an alarm and immobiliser if you're installing a stereo into a vh. I had my vk broken into in my driveway a few years ago, cd player stolen, and they didnt wake up any of my family that were sleeping metres away. After that I held off on installing any decent stereo gear until I bought a new car.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Orion are ok, they do some pretty high end gear, like most brands, what model sub is it? is it boxed, and do you have an amp for it at the moment?
As far as the features go for the head units, extra money will get you the usual extra features like, IPOD connectivity,Bluetooth, greater tuning opputities, such as 6 band EQ's, subsonic filters ect, and additional pre-outs for external amplfiers, and much more, but there the most simple extra's you'll find. It comes down to what you need....

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
thats unfortunate to hear mate, ive alredy got an alarm in my car.
i wish i didnt though haha i get 3500 if it gets stolen!

i dnt have an amp for it. its boxed so i dno how to tell what type it is but ill have a look wen its daylight tomooro

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah i did good at maths.....took me 3 minutes to add those up, imagine how long it took me to write up the planning a system on a budget thread ;)

Just as VP said about the main differences in head-units. You'll probably be better off buying a decent head-unit now, and when you upgrade cars you'll be able to use that in your car and add several amps etc, plus being able to adjust the side just how you like it.
Beats spending <$100 for a cheapy h/u then buy a new one when you find out you can add more than one amp and have control over the sub or speakers.

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
back again guys, my 18th is on wednesday and it looks like my mates r getting me the head unit and speakers so i was wondering if u could post up that wiring diagram keeping in mind my vh is an SLX so it only has one stock speaker not like the SLE which has 4. (does that mean i cant put speakers in?)

EDIT: i just read u need to know what im putting i so ill let u know when i get the goods, so be preared :p

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
back again guys, my 18th is on wednesday and it looks like my mates r getting me the head unit and speakers so i was wondering if u could post up that wiring diagram keeping in mind my vh is an SLX so it only has one stock speaker not like the SLE which has 4. (does that mean i cant put speakers in?)

EDIT: i just read u need to know what im putting i so ill let u know when i get the goods, so be preared :p

Red wire = 12v + Ign
Yellow Wire = 12v + Acc
Black = Earth

Run new speaker wire for the speakers in the doors (assuming your still doing this) dont worry about the dash speaker.

Also you could run a new earth if you wanted to.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
So youre going with 6" x 9" speakers in the rear parcel shelf? You'll need to cut the holes out (illegal) or use spacers.

The new speaker wiring connects to the speaker, then runs down each side of the car and to the CD player, you'll need to connect the left speaker to the green / green w/black stripe and the right speaker to the purple / purple w/black stripe (black stripe is negative).
The speakers will come with a length of speaker cable but it wont be enough to reach the rear shelf. You'll need to buy some longer lengths (5m to be exact).
Heres the spacers you'll need if youre not going to cut the metal / parcel shelf:
Cheaper, plastic ones:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?FORM=KEYWORD

Dearer, stronger ones:
APF69HBL : 1 Pair 6x9" (152mmx228mm) Black Vinyl Fibreglass Speaker spacers :: Speakers And Spacers

Heres an example of speaker cable (you'll need 10m of it):
Regular Duty Fig 8 Speaker Cable - Jaycar Electronics