Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH system installation

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
alrighhhht i bought the gear today
ive pulled out the stock head unit
and i dont know what to do next...

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
alrighhhht i bought the gear today
ive pulled out the stock head unit
and i dont know what to do next...

Install it :p

What gear did you buy, that would help everyone decide what is easiest to do next.

By the way, where are you located, might be easier for a member to give you a hand for a 6-pack or something instead of explaining it on here.

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Fusion 6 x 9's RE-FR6930

kenwood KDC-MP243

AND 10M OF WIRING

im at Botany, next to Mascot. That wuld be good. Im soo keen to learn i just have nooo clue what to do wit the wires that came wit the HU im not even worried bout the speakers atm

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Alright, assuming thats Sydney, to far for me, but if someone doesnt put there hand up, you could try putting a thread in the NSW section and see.

First off all, I would be laying speaker wiring as its the most prick of a job, if your doing it properly.

If its only two speakers, then just run it from where the speakers are going, to near the headunit (leaving enough length to play around with), if its all 4 speakers, then put a tag or tape on the ends of the wires, marking which is which.

Next I would be finding the wiring loom,and making sure you can access it properly.
Wiring the Positive constant, Positive accessory, and either wiring to the earth, or making an point aswell. At this point plug in the headunit, and make sure you can get it to power on.

Dummy wire the speakers, so you can use them to be tested roughly where they will be located.

Disconnect headunit, and wire the speakers in place, following the diagram. Again plug in and test. If everything goes correctly, get the brace, and fit the brace, Personelly I think this is the hardest part to get right not the wiring. Once the brace is in place, plug the loom back in, and the aeriel, and slot into place.

Test, to make sure its all good, then fit your speakers and wire them properly.

Have a few beers whilst sitting in your car listening to tunes :thumbsup:

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
i understand all that = ]
what do i do bout the wiring loom in the car?
do i cut the black and yellow ones out of it and connect em to the new head unit wiring?
and where the hell is the red one :S its no where to be seen

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
i understand all that = ]
what do i do bout the wiring loom in the car?
do i cut the black and yellow ones out of it and connect em to the new head unit wiring?
and where the hell is the red one :S its no where to be seen

It could be pink. If its not Pink, then send me a message on here and remind me to go have a look at mine.

Actually If i remember ill grab a pic of my setup tomorow to explain it better.

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
its got:
grey
yellow
black
light green
dark green
brown

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
its got:
grey
yellow
black
light green
dark green
brown

Uhh ok, VK must be different to VH.

Im going to guess, that light/dark green goes to your centre dash speaker, so fair to say leave these disconnected. Black will always be earth. Yellow will most likely be your contanst 12V+, now your brown or grey wire could be your ACC 12v+ or your missing your ACC 12v+.

Do you have a multimeter or test light? If not, its probably best to grab one, preferably a multimeter, about 10-15bux for a **** one which is all you need.
Read its manual to measure DC voltage, with in the 1, or 10's range, either will work. Test it on your battery first to make sure you have it worked out.
Then earth the negative of the multimeter to something bare metal on your car (door pins are great), then with the positive prong of the multimeter, test each wire until you get one that reads 12v when the ignition is OFF, this will be your 12v CONSTANT, test the yellow first as this should be the one. Turn your ignition to accessories (or ACC) and do the same again, excluding your constant wire though, The one that gives you 12v with the ignition at Accessories is your 12v+ ACC wire.

Theres two ways to wire this, using shrink wrap and solder, but I personelly wouldnt. Get a cheap set of crimping pliers and a wire stripper on it, and buy some red Bullet style crimps, both male and female. and Crimp each wire your going to use, then plug them together to test.

Hope thats not to confusing lol.

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
alright ill do that today, one thing im unclear on, to test the wires and eventually wire them to the hed unit, do i cut them from the connector thing or do i strip the wire?