Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH system installation

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
im 17 and new to the world of cars...
im writting to ask if any1 can help me out with how i would go about installing a sound system in my VH commodore or refer me to another site or something... any hel is appreciated

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
What do you want to know mate?

Ive done a few installs in VHs, even owned VBs, VCs, VHs and VKs....so ive got a fair bit of knowledge (and a sweet spot) for those models ;)

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
What do you want to know mate?

Ive done a few installs in VHs, even owned VBs, VCs, VHs and VKs....so ive got a fair bit of knowledge (and a sweet spot) for those models ;)

pretty much everything :(
ive been putting up wit AM radio for far too long haha
so umm. would i be able to buy any type of head deck?
and how wuld i go about installing it keeing in mind i know **** all?
would it give me FM if i put a new one in?
and would i be able to install speakers in each of the doors coz it only has one in the top of the dash?
as u can tell its stock as a rock :(

ps ur a legend = ]

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yes you could just buy a new tape deck, but these days, even if your buying new, you can pick up an entry level CD player, for well under$100...which yes will give you FM lol

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Alrighty then yeah pretty much any single DIN unit will fit into the VHs, what is in there at the moment, just the original unit? if so thats pretty rare.

Yeah would get FM, provided you have an antenna ;)

Yep you could install speakers into the doors, but most speakers will require you to install some spacers first (the doors are fairly shallow inside).

So what you'd be after is a basic CD tuner (as VP said under/around the $100 mark, any namebrand will be available for that price) and a pair of 6-6.5" speakers, depending on your budget you can go with rear speakers too but i'd stick with a pair of fronts to start with. You can pick up half decent coaxial speakers for $60-$80 and will sound heaps better than the dash speaker.

If you dont feel confident with cutting holes in your doors, running wire from the door into the kick panels then maybe get a store to do that part for you. The stereo install isnt too hard and you could probably do that yourself.

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
hahaha yes i do have an antenna :)

yep it is the original, lucky me (worth anything?), one of my mates was saying something about putting the head deck in the glove box, is that possible?

are the spacers hard to put in?

and how to i go about learning which wires go where?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I've seen VH's with the head unit in the glovebox. I think it can be a good idea, both for security reasons, and because it keeps a bit of originality about the vehicle. All though for everday use and convienance, it's probably not something i would do, but that's just my personal opinion.... As for the wiring, i can post a diagram for you, closer to when your ready to begin the install. Would first need to know what your installing, and whether you will be adding external amplifiers, ect..

But before you begin, what's your budget? and what are your overall expectations on the final set-up.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest a little bit different of an install..

Firstly, i wouldn't be cutting up the door trim's, particularly on a VH, and if it's in good nick.
Rather than installing a set of 6-6.5 inch speakers in the doors, i'd spend a little more, and get a good set of 4 inch speakers, to replace the factory units. Match them up with decent 2 channel amp, and possibly look at installing a set of coaxials,(again, budget pending) in the rear shelf, and have them running just off the head unit.
Then look at adding a good quality 10 inch sub,(or 12, depending again on your listening styles ect..) and amp.
All up, will still provide you with good sound quality, without sacrificing too much space, and you'll retain much of the factory look of your interior.

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
my budgets low, just ganna get the basics coz im ganna sell it in about 8 months and hopefully ill have the money to get it in a month or 2. ive already got a sub so i just need 2 sets of speakers an amp n head deck so like $350? then again i was just ganna put in 1 set of speakers coz i dnt know how difficult it is ot install the rest of the stuff

the VH only has one speaker and it in the dash and im not too worried bout cuttin the doors anyway. budget is he key here :p

and what does channel mean in referance to amps

ezy_4_u

trainee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
legend :)
ill get in touch with u wen i get the products for the wiring diagrams