Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh trip computer

brad82

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl
hi guys, does anyone know if a sle trip computer will go in a sl or does the car need a different wiring loom? cheers

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I put one in my ex-Vicpol BT1 SL but that was about three decades ago now so stretching my memory...

As I recall everything was plug 'n play, although I think there was a sub-harness that ran between the display, control box & computer.

You will also need the little induction coil that screws into the back of the instrument cluster, although I can't guarantee an SL cluster will have the cutout as mine has the full instrument cluster from the factory and the pickup coil was already installed (with cut wires still attached, something to do with the RADAR system I believe)?

You also need the fuel flow sensor and the two different fuel pipes, but I'm pretty sure that just plugged into the engine harness too?

Andrew

brad82

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl
thanks for all that Andrew, I didn't know if the existing harness would support plug and play or not, sounds like the biggest hurdle would be the extra fuel line and sender. cheers

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not an "extra" fuel line, it's two new steel lines that replace the original line to allow the sender to go in-between. You could probably do it by cutting a section out of the original pipe if you had a couple of appropriate fittings or a flaring tool?

Not sure if it's worth the effort really, both the trip computers in my SL and my SL/E are all but useless... half of the segments on the displays don't work and the fuel flow sensors in both no longer work either (not sure if they were ever compatible with unleaded fuel and/or ethanol).

Andrew

brad82

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl
you have been a big help thanks mate. I am just looking at what to do with this vh project and thought the trip computer would be a good touch but it sounds like they weren't very reliable. may have to calm down a bit.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
The Floscan fuel meter units do go but they are replaceable. You will have to get one from the US now as Floscan Australia ceased operating a couple years ago. I replaced mine and the Trip Computer now works a treat, it is actually quite accurate for 36+ year old technology. The unit you need from memory is the Floscan 624, it is superseded by a much smaller and more accurate unit and works really well with the computer, you will need to mod the fuel line fitting however (Pirtek). The digital displays are a pain as the segments go, easily. I replaced mine with a NOS one only a couple years ago, done about 5,000 kms and I noticed the other day the bottom far left segment is out already, annoying given I rarely drive the car; I do not know what the answer is with the display, not sure if they can be fixed (and properly)? I suppose they were a rubbish unit to begin with...

jandjmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0L
Hey derekP, the displays are repairable with segments still available (or at least they were a couple of years ago). if you search “SLE Clock missing segments” I posted how to repair them and the part number of the parts.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride

Com_VC

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo available of the actual bracket that the trip computer module mounts to?

Also has anyone had any luck with getting one of these to work with a fuel injected motor?

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Hey derekP, the displays are repairable with segments still available (or at least they were a couple of years ago). if you search “SLE Clock missing segments” I posted how to repair them and the part number of the parts.
That is brilliant thank you. I reckon I could have a stab at repairing the segments do you know where I could get new 7 segment LED's to fit? It seems that even if I replace the one that is out with one that is working from another unit the same thing will happen in no time. So I am wondering if I can replace with new ones that were more recently produced?