Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration at a certain speed in the whole car (20-25 km p/h)

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
Hey guys,

I recently got my auto transmission done, got a old one out, and new one in. this is in a WK Statesman (VY Equivalent).

Anyway, I took it home, on the way home I felt vibrations (increasing as you accelerate from 20-25). But not when you brake.

I first assumed they put on the tailshaft to the diff wrong (as it has to be balanced?), I went back to them and they told me they never took it off.

Another mate told me that it could be my tyres, from feathering, but why would it only do it at 20-25km p/h?).

Anyone have any suggestions, would wheelbearings have anything to do with it etc?

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
If the tyres have gone hard then they would cause this problem,its usually when they get rotated from back to front the rear tyres are the main kulprits

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Take it back and get them to drive it. If it only started after the transmission was done then it has to be related to that.

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
is the vibration coming through the steering wheel or how does it feel

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
I tried my stock 16 inch rims and could still hear it. I might get a wheel alignment on it, and pack my wheel bearings, see if that fixes anything.

Tommay, cant feel no vibration in the steering wheel, not at that speed anyway, at 110km you can feel it slightly, but no vibration in the car

Last edited:

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
if its not coming through the wheel wouldnt that narrow down the wheel alignment part.
looking like something the mechanics have done when u took it in

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
Ive been told that a missing tailshaft dampener could cause vibration, would this be true? (at this speed anyway?)

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
The engine mounts could have been damaged while the diff got replaced

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You said you had a new transmission fitted. When you took the car back to the repairer, they said they never took the tailshaft out. Must be bloody clever mechanics to manage that. Go back and ask them how they can take an auto transmission out of your car without removing the tailshaft and then check their work again, and not take you for a fool.

And find another workshop for any future work.

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
im assuming they took the 2 bolts from the middle of the tailshaft off, and just bent it to get it out of the transmission.