Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration at Speed

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
Hey mate I aggree with everyone about the rim/tyres
Where u from I could help...

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I got my wheels off ciddyau (user of this site) and the two front wheels were badly buckled and i get the vibration at higher speeds, but to combat this they put the wheels at the back and the best two at the front. Had to get two new tires as well as one was deformed and other had a split :(

to bad he forgot to mention this stuff to me and i had to learn the hardway

i would have given him a ring if i was you

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Son's '96 Magna has pretty much identical vibration. We are getting to think it is the shock absorber / damper in the front strut.
The mass of the wheel and the bounciness of the tyre on the road has a natural frequency and if the rotational speed approaches that frequency and there is no damping to speak of then it is very likely the wheel will hop up and down violently.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If all else fails, check your tie rod ends. Just a little play can do exactly what you have described ie vibration then all gone then back again. I don't know about now but it used to be called "tram tracking". Hit a little bump that would not normally worry the car and get light to mad vibration and maybe even the steering following small ruts in the road. Easy fix though. new tie rod ends are cheap as chips.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
If all else fails, check your tie rod ends. Just a little play can do exactly what you have described ie vibration then all gone then back again. I don't know about now but it used to be called "tram tracking". Hit a little bump that would not normally worry the car and get light to mad vibration and maybe even the steering following small ruts in the road. Easy fix though. new tie rod ends are cheap as chips.

youre right on the money there.

I replaced my tie-rod ends in my VT just this last Friday.
I had constant viabration above 90kmp/h

30 minute job to replace and it drives a hell of alot better
cost no more than $40 a pair. ALWAYS change both sides at the same time

OP, check and replace tie-rod ends

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
i would have given him a ring if i was you

he lives less than 5kms away from me, i dropped off the beaurepairs invoice with a description of what was wrong and how much i paid at his house and he still refused to pay a cent. had to pay to get the other tires turned inside out beacuse they had walls lol

ah well, i was ignorant. not anymore

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Betty - Supercharged VX Berlina

Awesome specific response Graham! How do I give ya some feedback points? Outer tie rod ends look easy enough to replace so I'll give it a crack. I guess I'll need another alignment after I do the job... Thanks for the confimation Rhino.

Appreciate the offer for help Jonno, I'm prolly about an hour away from you (about the same distance to my mates shed where my other rims are). Do you get extra strokes with a supercharger? LOL... Suck, squeeze, bang, fart... ping! 5 strokes x 6 cylinders=30! LOL

Still reckon my rotors are warped though... how's this idea for a test?
I took a piece of chalk (from the Darts scoreboard) & marked the rotors about every CM then pushed the car a couple of metres, really slowly so I didn't use brakes to stop, then had a look. Chalk marks rubbed off on about 1/4 to 1/3 of the rotor. Similar on the other side.
Could shagged tie rods cause this? I'll change 'em anyway.
Was the idea stupid?

Last edited:

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Betty - Supercharged VX Berlina
Hmmm... No comments? Maybe it was a stupid idea then.

Update:
Changed the tie rod ends which definately improved the feel of the steering but didn't fix the vibrating at speed. I might be dreaming but it may have actually accentuated the problem. Still, it was worth the $70 spent at Repco. Getting a balance & alignment Monday so we'll see what difference that makes - I'll get 'em to balance the rim withouht the tyre like Mohi suggested.

Any other ideas fellas?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
with the rotors - does the steering wheel shake under vibration at moderate speed eg. going from 80-60? If not then its probably no the rotors. I still reckon it could be they tyres. How much mileage is on your current tyres?