Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration in reverse only?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
my vr executive auto is making some very bad vibrations when i put her into reverse and brake on foot (eg, reversind down me driveway) it feels likes its comming from pretty close below me (driver) could this be uni joints or somethign in the auto gbox?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like the flexible transmission mount is broken/loose or oil soaked and very soft allowing the transmission to move about. Try getting under the car (safely!) and see if you can move the rear of the transmission side to side or up and down - it should only just move. Good Luck.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
will check that cheers, hope its nothing major :(

Adzzaman

Powered By Buick
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Could be the exhaust hiting floor and other things aswell.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Im 99% sure its your engine mounts.

pyro_104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Mine does the same thing - it was suggested to me that it's engine, transmission or exhaust mounts. I believe that because all of the above are shot on my car!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My VS II does the same in reverse, but i've only found a suspect centre hanger bearing mount for the drive shaft, i've also got a vibration whilst driving around 100kmh but it's not consistently at the same speed, i've had the wheels balanced & aligned but it's no better, if not worse actually. starting to suspect engine mounts as well:ranting:

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
if in reverse only it is most probably your engine mounts. this is a result of your engine moving with your exhaust. the noise is your exhaust hitting up agaisnt the rear end of your car. head **** to fix if you don't know what your doing.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Engine mounts. Have exactly the same problem. Also have a bit of a vibration when accelerating heavily off the mark. Mine's been like that since we've had the car, done 170,000kms since and still have been meaning to get it fixed!!! haha. Ahh well she's fine i suppose. If the broken mounts have kept the engine under the bonnet from 50,000kms to 220,000kms i'm sure they can last a little longer. DON'T LEAD BY MY EXAMPLE THOUGH! I will get them done when 1) I can be stuffed to and/or 2) I can persuade myself that spending the cash on the mounts is a good investment.

Cheers,
Boojakz.

Adzzaman