Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration in reverse only?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Im 99% sure its your engine mounts.

dead right :) i checked today as when i turned or put foot down it felt like some thing was moving, put foot on brake and accelerated and motor looked like it was about too flip :(

thank you all

RedLiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 Commodore
Wow I'm glad I found this thread, I've currently got a very similar problem.

My noise seems to be coming from down around the catalytic converter. Its basically a strong vibration and initially I thought it was the exhaust hitting against somewhere. It seems to mainly happen when my foot is on the brake or when I reverse out of the garage in the morning.

I'm going to go and have a look now around the cat and see if I can see anything, but I looked the other day and couldnt see much.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i guess there are a lotta people here who are going to be checking there engine mounts, me included (sigh, never ending bloody money pit)

SM1D3Y

aka Drew
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
big bump .... just started getting this problem, had my engine mounts replaced bout a month ago and my mechanic check the transmission mount was all good. Any other causes ?

Wow I'm glad I found this thread, I've currently got a very similar problem.

My noise seems to be coming from down around the catalytic converter. Its basically a strong vibration and initially I thought it was the exhaust hitting against somewhere. It seems to mainly happen when my foot is on the brake or when I reverse out of the garage in the morning.

I'm going to go and have a look now around the cat and see if I can see anything, but I looked the other day and couldnt see much.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd get him to check the transmission mount again - maybe it appeared OK when the engine mounts were fitted but the actual fitting process which involves lifting the engine will place extra strain on the trans mount and maybe it sheared then. Other than than, worn U joints or worn/loose centre bearing can cause this problem. Good Luck.