Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration in steering wheel

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
martbar is correct

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Didn't we go over these various scenarios with the O.P about a month ago?????

As @lout mentioned, you are correct....

Now all we need to know is, did he get the front wheels balanced when they were moved from the rear, or did he have new tyres fitted to the front after his original post?

Or final assumption is, he is getting bored because school holidays are nearing.... :)

Shane gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden commodore vz
Had all wheels balanced full wheel alignment new tires all around even cruising at 50km and just have a fingertip on the steering wheel can feel that vibration getting up to motorway speeds it’s shocking whole steering shaking can feel it through seat and floor not much left to replace really doing my head in

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had all wheels balanced full wheel alignment new tires all around even cruising at 50km and just have a fingertip on the steering wheel can feel that vibration getting up to motorway speeds it’s shocking whole steering shaking can feel it through seat and floor not much left to replace really doing my head in

So your original problem was just a steering wheel shake, now it's through the car.....That means it'll be an engine/gearbox mount or tailshaft issue....

So first point of call is engine mounts, seeing as though it appears through the steering wheel first

Finally is this a seperate issue to this post, because this post stated you only replaced 2 tyres, not 4..

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/shaking-in-steering-wheel.295017/

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is. However with all the help offered, so much is going through to the keeper.

Shane gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden commodore vz
So your original problem was just a steering wheel shake, now it's through the car.....That means it'll be an engine/gearbox mount or tailshaft issue....

So first point of call is engine mounts, seeing as though it appears through the steering wheel first

Finally is this a seperate issue to this post, because this post stated you only replaced 2 tyres, not 4..

Really thinking engine mount could be an issue after this comment when stopped and accelerate hard

hey mate just want to thank you for the info I had a had a quick glance at the engine mounts whilst the car was on jacks couldn’t see much a bit of perishing took to sons work today up on hoist and got in behind there to find separation at the base of the passenger engine mount and a long crack along the back

Foxyloxyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Sedan
Hi team I’ve had issue with vibration in steering wheel for a while have just replaced both struts/bearings and mounts both control arm bushes all z bar bushes all 4 tires replaced and balanced and inner and outer tie rods just had a wheel alighnment back on the motorway and away it goes again sit at 85-90 not to bad up to 110 km and it’s like the old girl has Parkinson’s all I have left is power steering pump and steering rack the rack has no leaks no obvious issues can a faulty power steering pump cause this cheers in advance
are you having the new tyres fitted professionally balanced - on the machine or just by eye/hand as it sounds like wheel balance which is always speed related -- alternatively if it is not actually the steering that is vibrating but rather the "car" it could be your rear wheel bearings -- things can be sensitive -- I remember someone put a little bit of duct tape on my tyre for fun once -- and the vibration was massive

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yeah. Nah.

It was a broken engine mount.

Shane gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden commodore vz
are you having the new tyres fitted professionally balanced - on the machine or just by eye/hand as it sounds like wheel balance which is always speed related -- alternatively if it is not actually the steering that is vibrating but rather the "car" it could be your rear wheel bearings -- things can be sensitive -- I remember someone put a little bit of duct tape on my tyre for fun once -- and the vibration was massive
Got them all balanced at Bridgestone second time in a month to be fair it’s got worse every time I replaced something but hsbe now found bad damage to engine mount so fingers crossed this is it