Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration on Acceleration

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by Wacky, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Wacky

Wacky Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Exec Sedan
    Hi Everyone,

As you can tell by my profile and low post count, I am a newby to this site. I have just recently purchased a VS S1 Exec Sedan with 168,000km on it. It's in great condition...drives nice, etc ,etc.

However, one thing that is really niggling me is a vibration upon acceleration, through to about 35/40 km/hr.

I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and gearshifter.

I know I need to get a wheel alignment ASAP as it pulls to the right a bit, however I get the feeling it's something to do with the drive train, as rolling down a hill from 0km/hr does not cause this vibration, nor revving the engine in neutral.

This site has been a great and impressive source of information and initial reseach has led me to want to investigate the Uni Joints (I believe there are two of them between the gear box and the diff (?).

I am getting a workshop manual ASAP (I prefer Gegory's, but is it the best?), but I'm wondering if the symptoms match to Uni Joints, and whether there might be other issues, such as rubber bushes on various linkages (can anyone expand on the bushes info? Such as how many there are, what their proper names are, should I replace them anyway, if so, what do I ask for at the shop?)

Also, in Sydney (North Side) what are the best shops for these sorts of parts? Autobarn, Repco ?

Thanks for reading my long winded post...I hope I made myslef clearer than by writing a short confusing one.

2. Wacky

Wacky Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Exec Sedan
    I also just found this through the VS Faults sticky post:

3. Patrio7

Patrio7 3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.

Members Ride:
    '96 S1 VS Exec
    yeah if my vs s1 comes under heavy acceleration [ with passengers or a trailer ] it makes a thudding noise from around the rear transmission area, i figured its a mount or rubber somewhere

4. Jamie_87

Jamie_87 New Member

Members Ride:
    2003 BA XR6
    my calais has same prob, cant work out why it does it, im thinking trans problem/tailshaft??
    ive learnt to live with it,not gonna bother spending any more money trying to fix it, might as well save it for a better car.

5. boojak87

boojak87 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS 5.7L
    I was told it's normal for a VS to shudder under hard acceleration. :confused: . It does get to be a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes though because usually you associate the vibration with stress and it's struggling to keep up. If someone could pinpoint the problem and give a fix it'd be awesome. Thanks!

6. hako

hako Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS11 BT1 V6
    There are 1001 stories about exactly why it happens and just as many cures.

7. phatwagon4u

phatwagon4u New Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss
    if you have symptoms like this it sounds like the transmission mount has broken,at the rear of the trans there is a rubber mount where it bolts the trans too the chassis,
    what happens is the rubber mount seperates from its metal mount (they are glued together),so it creates a thud when the engine is under load.
    they only way too check if the mount is ok is too remove the mount and bracket off your trans,if it is fu#ked it will fall into 2 pieces
    hope this help:)

mdjbags likes this.
  8. VRAddiction

VRAddiction its never fast enough

Members Ride:
    Vy SS Manual Ute
    this may be odd and little off but try get your wheels balanced and see how it goes??

try basic stuff first

9. 94 Stato V8

94 Stato V8 Member

Members Ride:
    2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
    Does the vibration cease as soon as you back off? While driving under light acceleration can you 'pedal it' to make the noise come and go? If so, my guess would be uni's and centre bearing. You can check what these are like by grabbing the tailshaft and twisting it back and forth with the car in gear (or Park for auto's) it will move a little, but it will move a fair bit more (or even clunk) if things are amiss. Also try pushing the tailshaft up and down, if the centre bearing is gone, it'll also move a fair bit.

10. betts

betts New Member

Members Ride:
    b
    yea my VR does the same thing only when theres passengers in the car though, ive also been told that VR's and VS's do this normally under heavy accellaration. ive had my car for yonks and nothing in the transmission has gone wrong so i figure its just a normal thing.

11. Infus10n

Infus10n New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
    If the gearshifter moves around alot and is quite noticeable then check your mounts. But quite naturally the gearshifter will move a bit.

12. 97 SEN

97 SEN New Member

Members Ride:
    VS HSV SENATOR
    I was told that also. Fixing the broken engine mount fixed the problem straight away though. dodgey cars sales people try to get away with murder some times (this was when the car was still under warrenty and they had to fix it)

13. Patrio7

Patrio7 3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.

Members Ride:
    '96 S1 VS Exec
    hmm well my car has been though a lot [ had it on two wheels once ] so i'd say its safe to assume its buggered.

c'mon tax cheque.......

14. boojak87

boojak87 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS 5.7L
    Haha lucky you say that! That's actually one of the things that the service guys picked up on the last major service (that engine mounts are going out) but this problem has been around since we bought the car at 50,000kms (now at 218,000). How much would I be looking at for new engine mounts? Supplied and fitted?

Thanks, Boojakz

15. 97 SEN

97 SEN New Member

Members Ride:
    VS HSV SENATOR
    I don't know, i didn't have to pay for it. It looks like a pain to do though.

16. sircruisealotVS

sircruisealotVS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    i dunno whose been telling you guys such things...but it is definately NOT normal for a vr/vs to shudder under heavy acceleration. in fact they are actually very smooth to respond to heavy throttle.
    something is amiss if this is happening to you, and id start checking out your drivetrain and mounts asap.

17. hako

hako Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS11 BT1 V6
    As sircruisealotVS says there may well be something wrong as some Commodores are smooth, however Commodores always have had harsh drivetrains. There's a road test of a VR at:
    http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,5037260-26236,00.html
    which states "There was also a characteristic vibration from the drive line just after takeoff. It went away as you accelerated through the problem zone, but it was a common annoyance with a lot of early Commodores"

vombil likes this.
  18. digisol

digisol New Member

Members Ride:
    Toyota Landcruiser
    Worn engine mounts wil make it vibrate under moderate to hard acceleration, I bet it's fine if you drive off slowly ?

The mount hidden under the A/C compressor is usually the culprit.

19. Wacky

Wacky Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Exec Sedan
    Well, for me, it's acceleration from 0km/hr to about 35/40km/hr...wether that be gentle acceleration or planting my foot...I haven't had a chance to check out the Uni Joints and Centre Bearing yet, but I did get my wheel alignment looked at.

I went to Pedders (read on before bagging me for going to Peders...you can bag me later) to get it done and have their 28 point suspecnsion check as well.

Well, I've got :

** 3 dead bushes on each side at the front, and some sort of plate at the top of the strut is apparently broken on both sides.

** The radius rod on one side is apparently bent slightly (I think he said it's actually straightened as it's normally got a bend)

** Bushes on rear lower arm require replacing (not as urgently)

They did this report for free, and even gave me a quote for fixing it (read in another thread someone else get their report for free too...funny that).

$ 983 !!!!!!

Yup, that's right. Now, I dunno if that's a ripoff or not...but it sounds like it...they also said it needs to be done ASAP within the next 1000km.

Now, I need to get this done, as I'm about to become a father and will be putting my newborn in this car, but

(a) how much would parts be approximately (I saw a thing at auto one in a catalogue for a VS COmmo Nolathane Bush kit for about $350)
    (b) How difficult is it to do this stuff at home (assuming you have the right tools)? I have rebuilt engines and gear boxes and done alot of general stuff on cars - like brakes), but never suspension, but I'd love to give it a go.

Any thoughts?

20. digisol

digisol New Member

Members Ride:
    Toyota Landcruiser
    All them bits can be had on Ebay, simple as, I know Ebay sucks but for some stuff it's OK, you may get the radius rod there too.

You'll have to explain just what plate is broken in the top of the struts ?

Radius rod = wreckers NP, new rubbers = Ebay.

Pedders check is $14 here, they will normally be over cuatious with offering advice and spares, if the radius rod is bent you must have hit something, or bought it like that, if so it could have had a front ender.

Rubber bushes last a while, if keeping the car for ever go for the better bushes, personally the cheaper ones do the same thing at 1/4 the price.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006