Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration on Acceleration

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
If the gearshifter moves around alot and is quite noticeable then check your mounts. But quite naturally the gearshifter will move a bit.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
boojak87 said:
I was told it's normal for a VS to shudder under hard acceleration. :confused: . It does get to be a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes though because usually you associate the vibration with stress and it's struggling to keep up. If someone could pinpoint the problem and give a fix it'd be awesome. Thanks!

I was told that also. Fixing the broken engine mount fixed the problem straight away though. dodgey cars sales people try to get away with murder some times (this was when the car was still under warrenty and they had to fix it)

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
phatwagon4u said:
if you have symptoms like this it sounds like the transmission mount has broken,at the rear of the trans there is a rubber mount where it bolts the trans too the chassis,
what happens is the rubber mount seperates from its metal mount (they are glued together),so it creates a thud when the engine is under load.
they only way too check if the mount is ok is too remove the mount and bracket off your trans,if it is fu#ked it will fall into 2 pieces
hope this help:)

hmm well my car has been though a lot [ had it on two wheels once ] so i'd say its safe to assume its buggered.

c'mon tax cheque.......

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Haha lucky you say that! That's actually one of the things that the service guys picked up on the last major service (that engine mounts are going out) but this problem has been around since we bought the car at 50,000kms (now at 218,000). How much would I be looking at for new engine mounts? Supplied and fitted?

Thanks, Boojakz

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
I don't know, i didn't have to pay for it. It looks like a pain to do though.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i dunno whose been telling you guys such things...but it is definately NOT normal for a vr/vs to shudder under heavy acceleration. in fact they are actually very smooth to respond to heavy throttle.
something is amiss if this is happening to you, and id start checking out your drivetrain and mounts asap.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As sircruisealotVS says there may well be something wrong as some Commodores are smooth, however Commodores always have had harsh drivetrains. There's a road test of a VR at:
http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,5037260-26236,00.html
which states "There was also a characteristic vibration from the drive line just after takeoff. It went away as you accelerated through the problem zone, but it was a common annoyance with a lot of early Commodores"

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Worn engine mounts wil make it vibrate under moderate to hard acceleration, I bet it's fine if you drive off slowly ?

The mount hidden under the A/C compressor is usually the culprit.

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Well, for me, it's acceleration from 0km/hr to about 35/40km/hr...wether that be gentle acceleration or planting my foot...I haven't had a chance to check out the Uni Joints and Centre Bearing yet, but I did get my wheel alignment looked at.

I went to Pedders (read on before bagging me for going to Peders...you can bag me later) to get it done and have their 28 point suspecnsion check as well.

Well, I've got :

** 3 dead bushes on each side at the front, and some sort of plate at the top of the strut is apparently broken on both sides.

** The radius rod on one side is apparently bent slightly (I think he said it's actually straightened as it's normally got a bend)

** Bushes on rear lower arm require replacing (not as urgently)

They did this report for free, and even gave me a quote for fixing it (read in another thread someone else get their report for free too...funny that).

$ 983 !!!!!!

Yup, that's right. Now, I dunno if that's a ripoff or not...but it sounds like it...they also said it needs to be done ASAP within the next 1000km.

Now, I need to get this done, as I'm about to become a father and will be putting my newborn in this car, but

(a) how much would parts be approximately (I saw a thing at auto one in a catalogue for a VS COmmo Nolathane Bush kit for about $350)
(b) How difficult is it to do this stuff at home (assuming you have the right tools)? I have rebuilt engines and gear boxes and done alot of general stuff on cars - like brakes), but never suspension, but I'd love to give it a go.

Any thoughts?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
All them bits can be had on Ebay, simple as, I know Ebay sucks but for some stuff it's OK, you may get the radius rod there too.

You'll have to explain just what plate is broken in the top of the struts ?

Radius rod = wreckers NP, new rubbers = Ebay.

Pedders check is $14 here, they will normally be over cuatious with offering advice and spares, if the radius rod is bent you must have hit something, or bought it like that, if so it could have had a front ender.

Rubber bushes last a while, if keeping the car for ever go for the better bushes, personally the cheaper ones do the same thing at 1/4 the price.

Last edited: