Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration on Acceleration

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Thanks Digisol !

I think it must be the bearing plates or support plates that are broken...I can't remember exactly...just that he confirmed it was at the top of the strut where it mounts.

Yeah, I'll check Ebay, have no problem with Ebay (always cautious as one should be though).

Re the Radius rod, yeah, it wasn't me (only had the car a few weeks). Pedders guy said someone probably smacked a pothole (there doesn't appear to be any evidence of a front ender.

And yeah, I'll probably have the car for quite a few more years, so I won't go over the top with parts, but won't skimp either.

Thanks, your advice has given me much to think about !

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I personally hit a pot hole "AKA small mineshaft" at near 110 and it destroyed the strut, steering rack, inc tie rod end, two wheels, the front wheel had to be changed instantly as it was flat with a 4" dent in the rim, and that hit pretty hard.

To bend the radius rod and have broken upper strut parts check the front end for different paint or overspray, and nuts that have been undone, where normally would never be touched, sounds like it's hit something, does it steer straight ?

My neighbour has a VN ute that had hit something real good, new s/h guards, L + R and new s/h inner guards L + R, new s/h bonnet and hinges, new suspension L + R, new grille, new lights, new apron, damaged / leaking a/c drier first gave it away, all was detailed for resale very well and being the same colours it was hard to see until I spotted the bent L chassis rail, so it had hit something reasonably hard.

Problem is they are made to fold up, you survive, but the car don't.

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
if you have symptoms like this it sounds like the transmission mount has broken,at the rear of the trans there is a rubber mount where it bolts the trans too the chassis,
what happens is the rubber mount seperates from its metal mount (they are glued together),so it creates a thud when the engine is under load.
they only way too check if the mount is ok is too remove the mount and bracket off your trans,if it is fu#ked it will fall into 2 pieces
hope this help:)
Im gonna get my mechanic to check this. Have a vibration under load thats not felt through the steering wheel and we have already replaced the centre bearing and balanced the drive shaft. Fingers crossed.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
every VS v6 ive ever owned vibrates like crazy under hard acceleration

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
##Update##
Tailshaft has been balanced twice. Not fixed. Had it up on the hoist. Diff had a slight noise, so drained, cleaned and replaced with thicker oil. Slight noise gone, vibration still there on the road. No detectable play in the wheel bearings, but thats the obvious next point to look...but thats not cheap to replace both. Dont want this to be a premature end of an otherwise good car that i have had since it was 1 year old.

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Update sept 29:
Im persistent if not stubborn. Changed mechanic. Got the tailshaft taken off and tested. Rear end was not perpendicular to the shaft. Got it machined, improved, but still a bad rumble...not "fixed" :(

I replaced the rear gearbox rubber mount. Eliminated low speed rumble. :) Discovered a metal spacer under the old mount. Tried it with and without spacer...much better without, but still a rumble above 90.

Tried adding 5mm washers under the centre bearing mount to change the angles. Made it much worse. Worth a try.

Last effort...went to Jollys wrecker, grabbed a tailshaft of an old vx wagon for $65 (in the rain...the things i do for a smooth ride). Busted my 19mm spanner late in the day trying to remove the tailshaft on my car (grrr), got a better spanner (hurrah), and the rumble has improved significantly again...PHEW.

Still a minor rumble around 100kph, but light years better.

Will probably need to replace the centre bearing on the wrecker tailshaft (its old)...but until then, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Last edited:

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Nb: as i was under the car so much hunting around for possible causes, i also noticed the front left sway bar rubbers were self destructing. Piece of cake to replace. Dont notice any difference before and after, but happy to know a worn part is replaced.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VS tailshafts seem to quite often have problems even after a balance. Seems like there can be bends that some engineers don't seem to pick up on when they balance the shafts. I have read three or four threads with bent shaft issues.

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Well, the rumble has gradually gottwn worse and is as bad as ever. Really anmoying as i have a great engine, yet cannot drive above 90kpm without significant vibration...unbearable at 100. Does anyone know how to fix this?