Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration on Acceleration

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, rebuild your tailshaft. Your idea of if it ain't broke don't fix it will bite you in the arse when it lets go and you need a flatbed to get home, plus another shaft because when it blows you will probably trash the shaft that is in the vehicle.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I must admit I also have an oscillating rumble that comes in at around 90 Kph and is only really noticeable on a smooth road. I've always been told that it is all about the centre bearing position and shimming it on its mounts via trial and error will eliminate it.

To date I haven't done much about it as it's not overly bad but just noticeable to me more so than others in the vehicle, but then I'm a fussy so and so.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
In my experience, tailshafts rarely cause an issue apart from the centre bearing. Driveshafts commonly cause a vibration at speeds upwards of 60kmph. They get a tight spot on the plunging end of the CV and bind up a little on every revolution. Makes the car horrible to drive.

Checking is as easy as removing cv’s (5 min job with impact gun) and seeing whether they rotate smoothly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine is smooth as. I had the vibe issue and it blew completely, without notice. I had the shaft rebuilt with new unis and bearing. It was never the same after it was smacked around from the bearing letting go at 90kph. It blew again soon after. I bought a SH shaft and had it rebuilt. Been beautiful and smooth ever since.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Engine mounts? wheels/tyres?

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
My 1997 S!! VS developed a vibe at 1500rpm. Alo a belt squeal.Threads here suggested tail shaft centre bearing going ta-tas as cause for the vibe. i had replaced the harmonic balancer a few months ago, but the vibe did not seem to be related to this because it was fine for a couple of 1000 ks. I changed the belt for a spare that was in the car. Still there. Spayed some anti squeal on and the vibe went. So it may be connected to needing anew belt. One of the idlers also seems a bit noisy with the screw driver test.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi Everyone,

As you can tell by my profile and low post count, I am a newby to this site. I have just recently purchased a VS S1 Exec Sedan with 168,000km on it. It's in great condition...drives nice, etc ,etc.

However, one thing that is really niggling me is a vibration upon acceleration, through to about 35/40 km/hr.

I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and gearshifter.

I know I need to get a wheel alignment ASAP as it pulls to the right a bit, however I get the feeling it's something to do with the drive train, as rolling down a hill from 0km/hr does not cause this vibration, nor revving the engine in neutral.

This site has been a great and impressive source of information and initial reseach has led me to want to investigate the Uni Joints (I believe there are two of them between the gear box and the diff (?).

I am getting a workshop manual ASAP (I prefer Gegory's, but is it the best?), but I'm wondering if the symptoms match to Uni Joints, and whether there might be other issues, such as rubber bushes on various linkages (can anyone expand on the bushes info? Such as how many there are, what their proper names are, should I replace them anyway, if so, what do I ask for at the shop?)

Also, in Sydney (North Side) what are the best shops for these sorts of parts? Autobarn, Repco ?

Thanks for reading my long winded post...I hope I made myslef clearer than by writing a short confusing one.
To be bluntly honest with you, you can ask as much as you want but untill you get under the car with a torch and inspect all the undercarriage its a guessing game for anyone. It would be best to replace all the bushes not just a couple at a time as eventually it will cost more in labour to re remove components or hoist time. Or take to pedders for example for a extensive inspection and go from that..

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
To be bluntly honest with you, you can ask as much as you want but untill you get under the car with a torch and inspect all the undercarriage its a guessing game for anyone. It would be best to replace all the bushes not just a couple at a time as eventually it will cost more in labour to re remove components or hoist time. Or take to pedders for example for a extensive inspection and go from that..
He probs got it sorted back in 06