Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration/Shudder under load

Deano3350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Berlina
My VS Berlina S2 Auto 130,000ks has started to vibrate/shudder under load, but only in about the 1,500 to 2,500 RPM range. Idle is flawless as is performance after shudder stops. Highway cruising is fine but as soon as it gets to a hill Shudders forcing me to force it into 3rd. The needles don't bounce and seems to have sub sided as it cooled down (badly shudder in heat), This is regardless whether A/C and all elects are on and off.
My question is could this be bad fuel filter?
Cleaning the air filter eased the situation.
What else could it be? Should I check the spark plugs?
(New car so I don't know when fuel filter and plugs were last changed)

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
tail shaft center bearing

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I reckon it's leads. The leads will break down under load and cause an engine miss, this will feel like a shudder.

Deano3350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Berlina
Cheers. looking at the leads they look like originals/damn old. now to wait till pay day to start troubleshooting

VSCOM2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
Having similar with my VS S2 135,000ks. Found faulty plug lead, thought great, replaced all, problem still exists. No fault codes except 12

VSCOM2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
Went to replace fuel filter again, noticed previous filter (replaced six mths ago) had something loose inside, so cut open. Internal filter element had separated from housing and fuel was effectively bypassing filter. Now suspect contaminated injectors which were cleaned six months ago.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I'm having the same problem. The mechanic i took it too thinks my transmission mount is really soft and the gearbox is shuddering, not sure if it will work but im having it done tomorrow its fairly cheap anyway. As for plugs and leads mine are all like new. Ill get back to ya with my results.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
The problem seems to be fixed with the new transmission mount, I would recommend it if you have the same problem as me (and have tried all the other things to fix it). It costs $45 for a new transmission mount for an auto VS commodore and the mechanic charged $40 labour to put it in, fairly cheap fix in my opinion.

Deano3350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Berlina
Oddly the problem seems to have gone away. i changed water pump as it was leaking. now car is 100% and cant find a problem. if it does do it again ill change my plugs n leads n check into the mounts. cheers for that update