Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vibration steering

john fantastic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss
ok i have a vf series 1 ssv manual ute 240klms. it has a mild vibration just off of center and into a left corner @61-65kph that you can feel in the steering well, as I have own many Holdens i thought, simple got it sussed well i was wrong
you can really feel the road in this car which I haven't experienced before, it has got my mech stumped myself and others, I'm listening!
have replaced so far:
new struts sachs, top plates as well orig holden
new wheel hubs
new rotors new pads
new d bushes
4 brand new Pirelli tyers

drives beautiful in a straight line no wandering and smooth to 120 kph did the same thing on older new tyers.... have rotated these as well and been to 2 alignment places last one i watched via invitation, the wheels were balanced zero with red dot to valve! and ran true bar one that had the slightest dip in it and went to the rear. but i have had it on the front and it makes no difference what upsets me is our Hyundai tuson drives better! ffs

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Positional problem with the electric power assisted steering rack?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If it helps, the Tucson would be worse to drive than the SSV even if you fitted oval wheels at all four corners of the SSV ... :)

I too was going to say what @lmoengnr said about the PS, I'm moderately sure there was a story from someone around here who had similar problems after having the PS fixed and taking it back to the dealer they corrected something with how the rack was mounted & it fixed the problem. The memory is vague & from a few years ago, though, and my short search for the poasts in question failed ....

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If it helps, the Tucson would be worse to drive than the SSV even if you fitted oval wheels at all four corners of the SSV ... :)

I too was going to say what @lmoengnr said about the PS, I'm moderately sure there was a story from someone around here who had similar problems after having the PS fixed and taking it back to the dealer they corrected something with how the rack was mounted & it fixed the problem. The memory is vague & from a few years ago, though, and my short search for the poasts in question failed ....
Aaah yeah, I think one of the 'fixes' was getting the steering angle sensor recalibrated after a few different wheel alignment sessions.

john fantastic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss

cheers for replying, yeah Tucson, i kid you knot, i have owned a lot of cars last being a 2021 Volvo xc60 r design turbo and supercharged engine, Tucson is nowhere in the realm of the power but drives just as good... very euro. and I got rid of the Volvo after I put it on the hoist and saw on the crossbar in big letters MADE IN CHINA!

john fantastic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss
Thanks sam100 for the great help guys you would think that with all the tech and."factory trained) technicians it would be a case of yes sir if you have 20mins we will have it sorted. Now I just spent prior to reading The responses and had the lower control arms replaced original 240k old were cracking, anyhow another .,$500.. who cares right! Drove car wanders left now steering off centre I hate this shite with a passion what ticks me off more is that they did the last alignment and they got it to go straight after 1 previous attempt ffs.anyway the car drives great BUT I could still feel a bit of **** on a left at 63kph to 67 I thought it was my imagination,paid left driven it a bit and it's back. The great work to find the steering reset is last hope for this girl for a bit. Thanks again

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Once you go looking for it you'll almost always feel what seems like a pull to the left on most roads, due to the camber of the road itself ... it's just gravity. It's possibly a bit different on a motorway - but they still have to drain, so they're going to slope to one side or the other.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I've been musing on this one for a few days, letting my subconcious work on it a bit. I think it may be right-side related, as that is where the vehicle weight transfers to on a left turn as you also tend to be braking at the beginning of a turn manouvre. About the only moving part you haven't replaced is the rotating shafts or axles which I think might have a small bend from an old kerb knock or suchlike. Don't know how tricky taking them off is, but I could test them in a lathe no trouble. I think the right axle might have a very slight curve.