Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vibration steering

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
its a feedback issue just in a particular spot it like has a flat spot on the PCB, dirt in somewhere.. ☹☹
There was a recall for VF‘s due to EPS power assistance failure but it took time to arrive.. In the early cases, Holden took a couple of bites at the apple (so to say). The vehicles had dielectric grease applied to the EPS connector, then when that didn’t work epoxy around the connector, all done as a warranty job. Then the solution was a costly complete rack assembly replacemen,again under warranty. Later, Holden developed a repair kit that allowed the dealers to repair the problem in a more cost effective manner for Holden (but probably at more risk of foobaring the job by dealer service) and that’s when it became a “recall”.

It may be interesting to determine what repair related to EPS assistance failure was actually done to your vehicle since you say “the rack has either been replaced /removed/badly tightened”. HCC or the dealer should be able to advise you whether the recall was actually done and which dealer did the work. The issue should have been corrected by now but ya never know… The badly tightened aspect would annoy me..

In any case, I doubt it’s dirt as connectors and motors, etc are well sealed these days and the recall resolved the fretting corrosion issue at the heart of the problem Via gold plated pins…

But the ghosts in the machine in mentioned are more a software control system logic issue that may not have been picked up in design. In part it’s like the pilot induced oscillations that downed two Saab Jas 39 fighters suffered during the test and verification… Here’s the videos for the two incidence for your amusement. And it wasn’t the highly skilled test pilot‘s fault even though the fault was called “pilot induced oscillations”, it spawns a software issue pure and simple… Keep in mind that in the automotive scope, it’s like Daniel Richardo being behind the wheel of your VF and struggling to control that steering vibration issue because the software is borked.

The February 1989 crash at Linmoping

A better view of the PIO on landing

The August 1993 crash in Stockholm

Interestingly some say this fighter is (now) more capable (at low levels?) than the F35… Made by a country with only 8M people living in a freezing environment and has much less natural resources at its disposal than Australia… Stuff like this makes me feel we all live in a really dumbed down country down under :confused:

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Thanks for that response I fixed the problem...I sold the car.
Out of interest, do you reckon the dealer had sussed it in the end?

Also out of interest, is it being replaced by something interesting? :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that response I fixed the problem...I sold the car.
C'mon, you didn't really solve the problem, you bailed and simply passed the problem on to someone else :oops:

john fantastic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss
C'mon, you didn't really solve the problem, you bailed and simply passed the problem on to someone else :oops:
Yep I don't serve cars they serve me I will spend what I feel is a reasonable amount of time and money before it becomes stupid most people would not feel the vibration I'm done so will pursue my next car thanks for support

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Yep I don't serve cars they serve me I will spend what I feel is a reasonable amount of time and money before it becomes stupid most people would not feel the vibration I'm done so will pursue my next car thanks for support
Same as @Forg, what did you end up replacing it with?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not an issue of serving cars, it's an issue of language :p

Just to be clear, I wasn't making any judgment whether knowingly selling a faulty car to someone is bad, simply that the language you used in the context of this thread was incorrect. Why, because you didn't solve the technical problem with the car, you simply offloaded it so you wouldn't have to deal with it (which is fair enough)...

Guess that's why others were interested in hearing the technical solution.

Anyway, what brand of replacement car are you considering?

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
It's not an issue of serving cars, it's an issue of language :p

Just to be clear, I wasn't making any judgment whether knowingly selling a faulty car to someone is bad, simply that the language you used in the context of this thread was incorrect. Why, because you didn't solve the technical problem with the car, you simply offloaded it so you wouldn't have to deal with it (which is fair enough)...

Guess that's why others were interested in hearing the technical solution.

Anyway, what brand of replacement car are you considering?
I wouldn't sell a car privately without divulging any known problems, but the dealers are a different story. If you can put one over a dealer then good luck to you. 10/10 in my book.