Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration Through Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by DannY_P, Aug 1, 2006.

1. DannY_P

DannY_P New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Series 1
    Hey all I was wondering if anybody out there can help me?
    My ride is a Vs Series one v6 , Standard auto 4 speed auto with b&m shift kit and shift band ,Lowered 1 3/4 inch king springs, Stage 2 crow cam , crow cam stage 2 mem cal, 17 inch mags stock exhaust. Problem I am having is that when I take off I get vibration through steering wheel when I take off I have new shocks , wheel all been balanced new tyres shocks etc... I have had a wheel eligment that help a little but didn't elim8t I have herd from a from a friend it could be the drive shaft as the vs comes in a 2 piece something about a centre bearing I am not too sure and as I need the car on a daily basics I don't want to fiddle around and put car off road could this be the problem and is it easy to fix? can I do it myself? or dose anybody know of place where I Can get it check to see if that is it or not. I am in sydney ,St George so local would be prefered!! if anyone out there has had simular problem and fixed it can you please send me details on how you fixed it I have also herd of some people replacing Vs 2 piece drive shaft with shorten 1 piece Vs V8 shaft would this also be a better alternative ? If so where can that be done and rouughly how much ? your help in this matter would be much appericated
    Regards
    DannY_P

2. DaPlaya

DaPlaya New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Series II
    Sounds like your problem can be one or more of three things:

Engine Mounts
    Tansmission Mount
    Split tailshaft center bearing/bushes

I recently found that my vibration from hard acceleration is being caused by my engine mounts. When the engine wants to accelerate it also would rather twist rather than pushing that energy to the wheels which is why my engine wobbles, due to the engine mounts not holding it firm.

Trans mount can sort of do this too but not as bad, and if it's the center bearing then you'll have the vibration more in the middle of the car and less through the steering wheel.

If i'm wrong please some one correct me... Since changed my engine mounts (quick job) and all is good no vibration! lov...e...rly

3. DannY_P

DannY_P New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Series 1
    Thanks for the reply just thought I'd let you know, when I replaced the motor I got new engine mounts and and I also got new mounts for the transmission once that was rebuilt so I guess I will investigate the centre bearing in the driveshaft???

4. DaPlaya

DaPlaya New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Series II
    Sounds like the problem then, jack her up and place on chassis stands then inspect bearing to see how much 'play' there is. not sure on the price of the replacments, however I'm pretty sure there up there with engine mounts for price and ease of replacement.

5. boojak87

boojak87 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS 5.7L
    Just a query. I have this shudder too and i know for a fact it is the engine mounts (came back as splitting in the last service report). Just wondering how much it's gonna set me back to replace them?

Thanks,
    Boojakz.

6. DaPlaya

DaPlaya New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Series II
    Well I got some quotes from various retail stores, check it.
    *note, I only need the two ENGINE mounts, beware because these guys treat the Tansmision mount as an engine mount, and may try to sell it to you :yeah:

Super Cheap $56 each
    Autobarn $57 each
    Repco $57
    Sparco $69
    Motors $105

Expensive for a peice of rubber, they are dead easy to replace all you nead is a good Jack, good set of tools, a manual/experience and your set i took some photo's of the work I did so I may write it up and post as a 'How to' if you like.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  7. ruredi

ruredi AVGJO3

Members Ride:
    '12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
    be careful dude it might not be any of those things...and sorry guys I'm not trying to say your wrong or anything it could very well be what your saying but...

you need to determine where the vibration is coming from and how it is "vibrating"...like at what speed and stuff...

I had vibration through my steering like mad when I would get up to around 70km on my VS 3.8 Auto Sedan. It had been like that for months but only the other week it just really got to me when I had to go for a drive to a birthday party in geelong.

Anyway I have 19's fitted to the front of my car and so I went back to where I bought the wheels and had them fitted demanding that he re-balance them because it was ****! When he took one of the rims off he realised that I didnt have any "CBL Rings" I think they are called...anyway basically what they are is a plastic or metal thin ring that goes around your hub and into the inside of the wheel when its put on. He fitted them up put the wheels back on and thankfully no more vibration...just driving excellence...:thumbsup:

Now I know that you have 17's fitted to your car and that its most likely not that but if you have an after-market rim it could very well be...just check it out before you go through changing the mounts...you havn't got much to lose considering it only take 5 minutes max to pull off a wheel..

Hope this helps...Cheers

8. DaPlaya

DaPlaya New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Series II
    Yeah I agree it could be somthing else, however Danny said:

..."Problem I am having is that when I take off I get vibration through steering wheel when I take off..."

And that was my problem, hard acceleration and take offs made my car drivline virbrate a little.

questions:

does it stop at when you are doing a constant speed? say above 70kph?

Do you hear any 'knocking' or 'clunking' noises when the vibration is there?

Is the vibration in other places as well as the steering wheel, say near gearbox, backend, drivers side, passenger side?

9. boojak87

boojak87 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS 5.7L
    My vibration only happens when i take off hard, and it's the front end of the car, but mainly the steering wheel. I know it is the engine mounts. The last 3 places i have been to who have done a service on my car picked that up straight away as the first thing on their 'to replace' list. It vibrated for as long as i know, with 3 sets of wheels, before and after lowering etc.

Cheers,
    Boojakz.

10. DaPlaya

DaPlaya New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Series II
    There ya go, it's easy to do so get into it :)